CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

torvic

3rd August 2010, 12:31
Not too difficult this week, just half an hour.
Favourite clue 3d. Worst clue 6d.
1 of 59  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

3rd August 2010, 16:33
Yes, not too bad at all. As well as 6D, I thought 9D and 19A are poor clues too. In fact I hope I have the right composer for 19A as I still don't see the wordplay.
2 of 59  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

3rd August 2010, 16:43
Although I've finished it, I'll confess to having struggled with this one and Torvic did well to complete it in half an hour. John, you should find that your composer is Finnish.
3 of 59  -   Report This Post

torvic

3rd August 2010, 16:47
I think there is only one Finnish composer that fits the down answers.
4 of 59  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

3rd August 2010, 16:52
Hi,
I looked at No23 at lunch-time; using last week's
crossword help I found 22 across starting with'F'
and regular (alternate) letters giving the required unit of 'charge'. Will look at the rest
of 32 when we get back from the shops, so cannot expect any help yet.
Good hunting.
5 of 59  -   Report This Post

brico

3rd August 2010, 17:24
There seems to be 3 answers to 6d. Reminds me of the type of clue in John Bull,Everybodies,Compedit0rs Journal very many years ago!
6 of 59  -   Report This Post

jon in ireland

3rd August 2010, 17:38
It's often not getting the words but their derivations, which I find more interesting than the answers.

I am having this problem with 2d this week. I cant work out whether the first two letters are the "doesn't include" part, that "right" becomes "rt" and "pieces" becomes "pcs", OR "doesn't include" is the whole answer but with another letter added from "right".

In the first case, there's a random "e" floating about and in the second, surely "pieces" should be "piece".

Maybe I'm over analysing.
7 of 59  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

3rd August 2010, 17:45
Actually 22A is a bad clue as well. The units of charge are the Joule or Coulomb. This unit is related but the definition is wrong.

Yes, the composer I have in 19A is Finnish, but the wordplay still eludes me.

The noise in 6D is that made by Leptodactylidae and others.
8 of 59  -   Report This Post

jon in ireland

3rd August 2010, 17:47
I believe that it is possible to "narrow" 6d to only one answer!

Assuming I have 11a correctly solved, then 6d is not only a "grating sound" but also sounds like another sort of sound, in the sense of an American word used to describe certain pieces of water.
9 of 59  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

3rd August 2010, 17:51
Jon (in Ireland),

Break it up as:

The seven letters of a word meaning "Doesn't include" around a single letter ("does include right") giving you the eight letters of a word meaning "pieces" (especially of music).
10 of 59  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 32