CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

halloway

3rd August 2010, 10:26
No progress on the eighth phrase.

For 4a, once you get the right titled lady (think 'Upper House'), lose a letter and turn the head then it makes sense. The first three letters of the answer are a synonym for 'get'.
21 of 84  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd August 2010, 10:36
Ty Halloway - my titled lady had a higher rank - was turning(literally)the first letter(ignoring the E) - do your other phrases match the ones listed in my previous post?
22 of 84  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd August 2010, 10:41
Hi Ixion - my answer agrees with Halloway
23 of 84  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd August 2010, 10:43
1ac - if you haven't got it yet, think what you do with a nutmeg
24 of 84  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd August 2010, 10:48
Hi AJT - saw it at once when I got the correct lady - can you shed any light on the phrases? - only have seven!

PS does cod mean coddle in the Great Book
25 of 84  -   Report This Post

ajt

3rd August 2010, 11:07
Hi Ixion - I haven't found all the phrases, and I didn't bother much, as you can't enter them with the solution, anyway. I took them as an aid to finding the answeres to some - for instance, I worried over 20 ac for aes. The fish - no Chambers don't give it as a synonym for coddle. Rather loosely, I took the C for Conservative, and the OD Chambers gives as ordnance data.
Unfortunately after I'd entered it I found I'd made such a stupid mistake_ I put a W ibnstead of T at the beginning of 10ac. I act in haste, and repent at leisure.
26 of 84  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd August 2010, 11:27
Yes AJT - I tried in vain to find a Pope quote for 20A but when you explained 17D it could only be one thing.
I'm too pedantic to leave the loose ends just yet!
27 of 84  -   Report This Post

halloway

3rd August 2010, 11:40
Ixion, my phrases seem to match yours although I know one of them as a recent(ish) sci-fi movie. Aside from the philsophical quote the rest are songs titles or lines from songs.
28 of 84  -   Report This Post

tony

3rd August 2010, 11:46
I seem to have an extra phrase!

5 + 10 + 20

20 + 22

Both look philosophical to me
29 of 84  -   Report This Post

ixion

3rd August 2010, 11:46
The vamp movie was a book - maybe we need something Shakespearean for the final phrase? - not as obvious as the others whatever it is.
30 of 84  -   Report This Post