CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

2nd August 2010, 00:47
Having spent ages solving this week's puzzle by the Times' whizzkid of compilers, I still cannot see "Nod and release voucher", for wuich the answer must surely be "SLIP". I just cannot relate
the word "nod" with the answer. Can someone please
explain the tie-up here?
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

jo

2nd August 2010, 00:54
I think nod can be used in the sense of 'make a mistake' as in the expression 'even Homer nods'.
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

les

2nd August 2010, 00:59
Paul,
I found Slip a bit vague, but (release) was the part I thought out of place. A voucher is a slip, And to slip away to sleep is to NOD off. Slightly tenuous, but thats Times cryptic for you. If you read my link, you'll see I was a bit off my mark today. You will most prob get a better answer later today. Hope thats helped you out.
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

alex

2nd August 2010, 01:02
hi Paul,
jo is correct, to slip and to nod are synonymous in the sense of to make a mistake.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

paul

2nd August 2010, 01:16
Many thanks to Jo, Les and Alex for their explanations! Gosh, I've learnt something there and all I can say is that NEXT Saturday's xword SHOULD be a lot easier than the last one and I'll try and do it in half the time!! Thanks again!
5 of 5  -   Report This Post