CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ron

31st July 2010, 12:01
AJT. There is no indicator to say that 'I' is to be translated into Latin to get 'EGO'. 'EGO' is not a direct synonym of 'I' in English. In English 'EGO' is a synonyn of 'self' or 'sef-pride'.
21 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

31st July 2010, 12:02
26 ac. A radius i a bone, The first half - rad, is "bent back.
22 of 39  -   Report This Post

ron

31st July 2010, 12:04
Thanks, AJT. I always get stuck on references to anatomy. I suppose I should bone up on it!
23 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

31st July 2010, 12:07
Yet again, Ron, for ego, Chambers says "the I, or self"
24 of 39  -   Report This Post

jack holt

31st July 2010, 14:17
sudokolover, thanks for the hints for 21a and 24a - I was completely stumped.

AJT thanks for the hints to 4 regally connected, I'd suspected (i learn)* and got 2d, but couldn't find the connection.

I agree with Ron that ego isn't synonymous with I - neither in the weighty Collins dictionary beside me, nor the online Chambers - I'd guessed the answer for 21a but couldn't make head or tail of the clue! I feel it could have been better indicated.

I've been doing Guardian crosswords for several weekes now and I have to say that this was the hardest by a very long chalk!

25 of 39  -   Report This Post

halloway@gmail.com

31st July 2010, 14:25
Yes this was the hardest Grauniad puzzle in a long while. I can usually knock them off in less than half-an-hour but this one took over an hour. My respect for Pasquale has increased greatly.
26 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

31st July 2010, 14:43
To Jack Holt - I have the latest Chambers in frontof me from which I quoted my previous reply. I have found constantly that Chambers online is not as complete as the publication.
27 of 39  -   Report This Post

ron

31st July 2010, 16:11
Have just finished today's FT. As is often the case it is much more fun than the Saturday Guardian. Guardian compilers do seem to relish using very obscure words as solutions.
28 of 39  -   Report This Post

jack holt

31st July 2010, 16:42
AJT, I didn't mean to question whether it's in your Chambers or not
(and I realise Chambers is the recommended reference), I was trying to say that I thought it could have been better clued, given that it doesn't appear in some dictionaries - the hefty Collins I use is normally very reliable. I also wonder whether ego meaning 'the I' (i.e. the sense of self), is the same as 'I', perhaps that seems a little nitpicky?

Here's the complete definition in Collins -

ego n., pl. egos. 1. the self of an individual person; the conscious subject. 2. Psycholanal. the conscious mind, based on perception of the environment from birth onwards; responsible for modifying the antisocial instincts of the id and itself modified by the conscience (superego). 3. one's image of oneself; morale: to boost one's ego. 4. egotism; conceit. [C19: from Latin: I]

Anyway, I'll try to remember it in future.
29 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

31st July 2010, 16:56
To Jack Holt - I went the other way round, and looked at "I" in Chambers; amongst other things it's given as "the object of self-consciousness, the ego", so although he may hve been stretching the point a little, I don't think you could say he was wrong.
I wasn't happy at 3 dn - I really quite doubt that it's a word. It isn't given in Chambers, and I tried the "Universal Anagram Solver" which gives you normally loads more than Chambers Word Wizards - really way-out things, but it wasn't there.
30 of 39  -   Report This Post