CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kookaburra

30th July 2010, 03:39
I know it's an acronym ... what you see is what you get ... but I can't understand the logic behind Enigmatist's tortuous clue:
Yes, European is in more than one way leaking a gallon, but it does what it says on the tin. (7)
I'm hoping one of the wise owls on this site can help me.
Regards
Kookaburra
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

mistley

30th July 2010, 04:15
Hi

SI (European yes) in two (more than one) WAY both leaking i.e. losing an A followed by G for gallon.

WYSIWG does what it says on the tin means what you see is what you get

Hope that helps

2 of 7  -   Report This Post

jack

30th July 2010, 04:16
Hi

I would say:
WY = WAY 'leaking' the letter A; 2 of these.
SI = YES in some European languages.
G = Gallon.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

30th July 2010, 04:31
Hi Mistley and Jack
Thanks very much for your explanations. Enigmatist's clue certainly proved to be a very curly one for me.
Regards
Kookaburra
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

jimc

30th July 2010, 08:35
Hi The Kook.

The phrase "it does exactly what it says on the tin" has been inserted into the brains of people in the UK over the last few years by television adverts (see below for a short example) which may not have travelled overseas!

http://www.youtube.com/v/HA_qxAWCwqI&;hl=en_GB&fs=1?rel=0&border=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/HA_qxAWCwqI&;hl=en_GB&fs=1?rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">

JimC
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

twm

30th July 2010, 14:11
I am repeatedly impressed by your IT skills, Jim.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

31st July 2010, 07:35
G'day Jim C
Thanks for the further clarification. I had suspected that there was some UK connection of which I was ignorant and now I get it. Your computer skills continue to astound. I won't ask how it's done. I prefer to stay mystified.
Cheers
Kookaburra
7 of 7  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » WYSIWYG