CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

poppy

6th March 2009, 19:57
Father's drunk! (4)
so far i have _o_s.
could it be pops?..if so why?..any other suggestions greatly appreciated
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

6th March 2009, 20:54
Hi Poppy. Feeling the urge to come to the aid of a damsel in distress, I have pondered over your suggested answer and I can't come up with an alternative. I have to confess that I don't know whether 'pops' is a vernacular expression for 'alcopops'. Like you, I will be interested to see whether anyone else has any input. Regards, Caravaggio.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

6th March 2009, 22:18
I agree with 'pops'.

The clue may just refer to consumption of non-alcoholic, sweet, often luridly coloured drinks - e.g. 'all the orange pop was drunk by the children'.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

erasmus

7th March 2009, 18:10
Who's the pedant who thinks that anyone who joins this forum doesn't know what pop is? Idiot!
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

7th March 2009, 19:00
Erasmus, I'm not sure why you feel the need to be offensive.

Poppy and Caravaggio asked for input and I provided something constructive. You don't have to like my reply to them, but I think that it would be better if you didn't just make such negative posts.

JimC
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

erasmus

7th March 2009, 19:19
As a newcomer to this site, I have trawled through a number of pages of responses and I still think that your post is patronising. Besides that, it's a moot point whether or not one can pluralise 'pop' by adding an 's'...
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

big dave

7th March 2009, 19:34
I am more than happy to be labelled a pedant, along with Jim!!

It is not pluralised, but possessive - father's -> pop's
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

7th March 2009, 19:37
From what I've seen of this website, most posts just discuss the clues & answers rather than attack the people behind them by calling them an idiot.

If a discussion seems pedantic or even patronising to you, that's your outlook. Cryptic crosswords are pedantic almost by definition.

I hope you can sense that I'm not a happy bunny at the moment but I also don't really want to continue this with you as I don't think the discussion is worth it.

So ... good luck in whatever you do.

JimC
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

big dave

7th March 2009, 19:41
I got a bit carried away there - I should have said father's -> father is -> pop is -> pop's

I guess I just get annoyed when people who are trying to help get criticised over trivial matters like this. Jim has given invaluable help to a large number of people, and anyone who has "trawled through a number of pages of responses" would have known that.

9 of 9  -   Report This Post