CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

k

21st July 2010, 17:13
If you look through the list of thematic clues you will see-

Note religious picture.
Plain letter.
Island seat.

Therefore SOFA fits seat & SO & FA are two examples of note.

Your PIETA fits religious picture & PI & ETA are
( repeated - the crossword title)in letter.

You have therefore eliminated 4 of the thematic clues.
12 of 20  -   Report This Post

laura

21st July 2010, 17:14
Hi k. Sorry to be a nuisance, but I think I need kid gloves with this one. All I seem to be coming up with are non-words. I've been fiddling with all day and I think I must be blind to something-again. Any more nudges would make my day.
Thanks again.
Laura.x
13 of 20  -   Report This Post

k

21st July 2010, 17:15
Hi Laura

Does the answer I've just posted help?

Come back if I can explain anything more.
14 of 20  -   Report This Post

laura

21st July 2010, 17:28
Thanks k, I can now understand how the thematics are made up, but I still haven't picked up the four words in the top rift and bottom left which I imagine is the reason I'm at a bit of a loss. Also in the bottom right corner I seem to have non-words. I'm having a really bad week with this one. Like a dog with a bone though!
Laura.x
15 of 20  -   Report This Post

k

21st July 2010, 17:39
Laura -now that you can see the relevance of the crossword title it is not too important that you have 'Two Of A Kind' along the top right & bottom left of the grid.
The clue along the bottom is two counties and the full word 'retires'.

Good luck
16 of 20  -   Report This Post

new boy

21st July 2010, 22:29
Laura, did you get it finished?
I had managed only three of the thematic answers and had quite a few of the normal clues left unsolved when I took a look at the earlier posts. Thanks again to you K for your hints (I hope that you enjoyed the golf at the Open - a bit of foregone conclusion after Saturday - and a pity also that Rory McIlroy has such a bad round on Friday).
I spent a lot of time on some of the normal clues but when you have the answers you wonder why. However I think that I have got there in the end.
Best of luck to you all.
17 of 20  -   Report This Post

k

21st July 2010, 23:08
Hi newboy

Glad you got there in the end. Quite a lot to this crossword but it all fitted nicely together at the end.I was left with 'cup of old' but then I twigged the connection.
The final nine holes on Sunday were a bit of an anticlimax but I was full of admiration for young Ossthuizen who showed remarkable composure - worthy of his mentor Ernie Els whom I see a lot of in Louis. Rory Mcilroy was left ruing that round of 80 when a bit more determination could have kept him in touch. A good lesson for him.

Cheers K
18 of 20  -   Report This Post

laura

21st July 2010, 23:25
Hello again. I'm nearly there, just the top left corner I'm still toying with. I'm down to 'cup of old' and 'function in country. How I wish I wasn't getting addicted to the ev!
Laura.x
19 of 20  -   Report This Post

k

22nd July 2010, 07:03
Laura
Top line left for 'function'
Lower right for 'cup'

That should put this one to bed!
20 of 20  -   Report This Post