CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

laura

13th July 2010, 19:48
Hi.
I wondered if anybody could give me a few pointers as to the pattern I should follow on this one. Hoping that K is around, I've got the bottom 43a and 44a, but I just can't see how the grid comes together? Any help would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Laura.x
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

anniec

13th July 2010, 20:28
Hi Laura - I haven't completed the grid but I can tell you that you need to thrust upward (as per the answers to the bottom 2) to put the letters in those answers into the gaps in others - e.g the o in in 43 goes into 5 dn and the t into 11 across. I cannot work out how the j fits into 5 ac but maybe K will help! Good luck x
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

k

13th July 2010, 21:03
Hi Laura & Annie

It was a clever of the setter to compile a grid of real words before and after the 'upward motion'.
Annie the J goes in 10a!

Laura, as Annie has said each letter in the bottom row moves up in the same column. You should be aware though that not all words are defined.

Good luck
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

anniec

13th July 2010, 21:13
Thanks K - I did mean 10ac (more haste, less speed, especially as there is no 5 ac!) I still cannot see what word might fit - have I gone wrong with the g at the start?
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

k

13th July 2010, 21:15
No your G is correct.

G(good)+ US (our team) = GUS -Guy

Insert J from bottom row = GJUS
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

anniec

13th July 2010, 21:19
Thanks K - it is what I thought the wordplay suggested - but what does it mean as I can't find it as a word anywhere! (bearing in mind I use net and don't have a Chambers) x
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

k

13th July 2010, 21:24
It's in Chambers as an alternative to Gue - viol.

As I said earlier some words are not defined and the setter seems to have just concentrated on finding alternative 'real' words for the clues.
Another example is 1a.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

laura

13th July 2010, 21:30
Many thanks to k and annie. I'm getting a bit further now, u was trying to fit the letters in at the beginning and end of words- no wonder it wouldn't work! I'm puppy hunting so I don't think I was concentrating- that's my excuse anyway.haha.
Laura.c
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

anniec

13th July 2010, 21:33
Thanks K - another reminder that I have to get a Chambers!
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

new boy

14th July 2010, 22:34
All seems quiet on the western front.
I have just finished the grid before logging in.
I assume 1a is the two-letter Chritian name of a famous gangster before two letters are added to give another Christian name.
2d 'lacking term' is this minus d for day?
I couldn't work out why we are told that the grid has 180 degree symmetry but then geometry has never been my strongest subject.
Best of luck to you all
10 of 11  -   Report This Post