CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT29

philip

13th July 2010, 15:20
Hello everyone, and particularly flipper2law who posted under RT28 earlier.

Yes, I saw the bit about Caravaggio, and it inspired me to finish in about 25 minutes. Having said that I am not sure I have finished as my answer to 16a Wallflower? (7) ?R?E?E is neither a flower nor a wall. I thought it was going to be one of those inspired clues that we have been having of late, but alas no. We are back in the horrific zone again.
However, all is not lost as there were some good clues again this week. I liked
21d Press Club (4)
20a Keen to have tablet with onset of gout (8)
19d Lopsided like certain gardens (5)

What do others think, particularly about Caravaggio's sordid life described in lurid detail on page 31?

PHILIP
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

13th July 2010, 18:36
Hi,
I reckon the plant you have (climbing up the wall) may have flowers or not; perhaps reason for ? in clue?
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

sammy

13th July 2010, 18:55
But has it six or seven letters? The poster typed (7) but only six are shown in the word typed with letters and question marks. I thought of a possible answer that has six.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

13th July 2010, 19:34
Philip's just omitted the last question mark - it's seven letters. It's not one of the compiler's best but the clues which Philip's picked out do have some merit. I will leave you to make what you will of Caravaggio's chequered past but, if you really want to see a better example of chiaoscuro, try Google Images and key in 'Saints and Sinners' and then marvel at how the light glistens off the armour...
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

cath h

13th July 2010, 19:54
wallflower ... could it be frieze?

cath x
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

karen

13th July 2010, 23:11
Hi Cath, another work for crawler,but up walls.x
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

lola

13th July 2010, 23:15
ah ha,creeper it is
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

karen

13th July 2010, 23:24
Well done Iola, not the best clue,was it.Karenx
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

lola

13th July 2010, 23:42
no indeed it was'nt
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

14th July 2010, 12:27
Just back from holiday and, like Philip, found it quite easy. Much simpler than the daily on-board crossword, which I only managed to finish once. Having never watched a certain TV cartoon show, 18A took a while to figure out.

Worst clue, definitely 16A.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT29