CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocketman

26th August 2018, 18:29
Every time I come to do this puzzle, I wonder if I'll ever complete it and understand all the clues in doing so!
This week, there are four I don't fully comprehend. They are:-
26 Across - "An agent is providing feedback" The answer is REPLIES. How does "LIES" equate with "is providing"?
11 Down:- "Food a drunk served up with a flourish"
The answer is TOSTADA. This is Mexican food, and "A SOT"
is "a drunk", but where does "a flourish" come into it? Could this perhaps relate to "TAD"? I have already considered "tantara", a flourish on a trumpet, but that wouldn't fit with most of the clue.
4 Down:- "Urchin, say, cut in Georgia" The answer is GUTTERSNIPE, which is "utter snip" inside "GE" How does "GE" become an abbreviation for Georgia, when most
people know that it's "GA"?
6 Down:- "Blue sky and sun rile cat I spoilt" The answer is "UNREALISTIC" which is an anagram of "sun rile cat I". How does the solution equate to "blue sky"?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2018, 18:32
4 GE is the IVR, international vehicle registration, for Georgia the country. IVRs come up quite often. I think solvers were to assume it was Georgia the state!
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2018, 18:38
6 D. Chambers defines 'blue sky' as 'having no immediate practical application' - maybe making 'unrealistic' fine?
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2018, 18:42
11. A drunk gives Sot and Tada shows up on an online dictionary search, it's a variation of Ta-da, there you are etc, so maybe fitting 'with a flourish'.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2018, 18:55
26 I think it's ' replies - providing feedback.' To me, Is = Lies seems fine, it's just in the sense of 'is situated' , in position etc. It's hard to explain, but I didn't have a problem when I put it in!
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

rocketman

26th August 2018, 19:03
Many thanks for all your help, Malone. The compiler seems determined to make the clues more devious than most other compilers! Talking of which, I'm kicking myself for forgetting to get the Guardian yesterday for my favourite puzzle by Maskerade - will have to wait 'til Xmas now!
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2018, 19:10
Glad I helped/tried to help! I didn't think these were very good clues, but I thought they were passable... just. Can't you get Maskerade from the Guardian website? They're usually available, I think.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

rocketman

26th August 2018, 19:17
No, I prefer to sit down with the journal on my lap - I used to scan things off the Net, but the cartridge in my scanner ran out ages ago, so I'll forgo it on this occasion. Still, I have loads to do on eBay, so that'll keep me going!
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2018, 19:29
Yes, I much prefer a 'real' copy myself, Rocketman. I just didn't want you to be missing out!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post