CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

baglady

25th August 2018, 16:17
Anyone out there ... ?

Am plodding on with this on the basis that the 'of a kind' are Guardian (or other?) setters. Eg 40ac being the late, great, monkey puzzler and 37d this crossword's setter - and have got a few more.

20d is frustrating me. Must be Arachne/Rosa Klebb - so is second word 'spider', and if so, what is the first ... ?

Have checked the notify by email button and look forward to hearing from others.

Thanks and happy Bank Hol to all.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

bunty

25th August 2018, 16:23
20d is anagram of ocean + mere + R(rosa)
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

baglady

25th August 2018, 17:35
Thank you Bunty !
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

tonipandy

26th August 2018, 16:52
Anyone any ideas on 58 a.

Because of this,shock treatment is held inside(8).
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

26th August 2018, 17:05
ECT = 'shock treatment'
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

baglady

26th August 2018, 17:21
Tonipandy and Scorpiojo ... and others .... re 58ac

There's a much longer discussion thread on the forum - subject "Maskarade 27,597" - and on page 4 (or possibly 5) there's a good hint about 58ac

There are also two websites which will be useful overall for looking up setters' names:

http://bestforpuzzles.com/people/index.html
http://www.fifteensquared.net/setters/

I've got only six more to solve - but my brain hurts now, so I'm taking a break!

6 of 9  -   Report This Post

tonipandy

26th August 2018, 17:31
Thanks Scorpiojo. I'd already guessed ECT but still couldn't progress. However I have just had an epiphany, probably due to your confirmation of 'ECT' , and it's actually not that tough a cookie after all. I just didn't know the compiler.
For 47d, I have an answer but can't fully parse. Am I right in thinking 'em' == 'the space' ? and if so why?
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

tonipandy

26th August 2018, 17:36
Thanks baglady. I'm done now, except I can't parse 47d. a trixy little number this one, and a couple of clues which don't quite fit the rubric in my opinion. 54 is one. I can't remember the other
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

tonipandy

26th August 2018, 17:39
I never saw the other thread since I searched on 'prize'.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post