CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

problem chimp

5th July 2010, 18:49
Help with my last clue plase !

15d Nonsense in short he had entered e.g.; preposterously (4) If my other answers are correct I have ?ULP

I can only find GULP PULP or TULP, but I just don't get the clue at all.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

francis

5th July 2010, 19:28
must be PULP = rubbish = nonsense, although rest of clue is obscure
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

5th July 2010, 19:31
I'm sure I'll plump for PULP - but the clue certainly does look obscure.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

bathtub

6th July 2010, 03:18
The reasoning behind this has driven me mad as well. I imagine (perhaps wrongly) it's something to do with the 'rare' definition of preposterously given by Chambers: "literally inverted, having or putting the last first".

I'm still none the wiser. Perhaps someone else will be.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

ajt

6th July 2010, 07:30
I just looked at Answerbank - same queries there, but someone had replied that "he had entered" was pluperfect tense - plup - for short, and that was entered "preposterously". I've been doing Mephisto for over thity years, but Paul McKenna's clues and reasoning are so obscure, and without wit, that I sometimes feel I won't bother with his anymore.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

sallyw

6th July 2010, 11:27
I gave up. I don't mind giving the brain a good wok-out, but sometimes it can be a bit too obscure.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

bathtub

7th July 2010, 02:43
I fear the 'pluperfect' explanation is probably correct. As you say, AJT, humourless and obscure to the point of unfairness in my opinion.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th July 2010, 06:09
Hi Bathtub - Let's hope he reaads this site.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th July 2010, 06:12
Oh, and by the way, talking of obscure - 7 d inksac -it had to be, nothing else fitted, but where as the definition?
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

k

7th July 2010, 09:09
Re7d Inksac Mr McKenna took obscurity to extremes!

Squid use their ink as an escape to confuse predators. If he has clued this as 'get-away vehicle' then I give in!

The word play I can follow-
IN (belonging to) KSAR (despot/tsar) C(aught) for R(ight) off

INK SA(R)C
10 of 18  -   Report This Post