CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

skyewalker

8th June 2018, 18:10
We first went to Rethymnon 32 years ago. The weather was dreadful. They had their usual annual rainfall within about 48 hours, with roads getting washed into the sea and power cuts every few nights. We still loved it and return often to the same hotel which, after all this time, still retains some of the original staff. They must be good people to work for! We're heading back in September. Have lost count, but this must be about our twelfth visit. We don't usually go 2 years in a row but we had such a great time last year that we thought "Why not?". I don't possess a smart phone and deliberately left my tablet at home. Read lots because we've done most of the trips (but only a small gorge compared to Samaria). Sometimes it's good to leave the internet behind. Have a great time.

SW
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th June 2018, 20:36
Thanks, SW. You're very kind. We're actually staying at a place called Platanes, which is about a half-hour beach walk from Rethymnon. As I said on the other thread, our first visit was last year and we just loved it. The town of Rethymnon was great but the star turn for us was Chania with its stunning harbour. We did an organised trip last year but it wasn't long enough. This year, we'll do our own thing and spend some time there. I haven't done any of the gorges, but have seen some from afar from the spectacular mountain roads. I'd like to say I leave the internet behind, but I don't really. I still spend far too much time faffing around on my phone and tablet. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in September. PM
2 of 3  -   Report This Post

rosalind

8th June 2018, 22:15
I stayed mostly at Aptera (once called Megala Horafia) near Chania, but also Vrysses and a place the other side of Heraklion. In the mountains they still like English people and I used to carry a photo of my children to make some kind of contact. I'm sad so many olive and orange fields are being sold for little bungalows but I understand it.
Have done Samaria twice. Never was an Amstel or a swim more welcome!
Old Rethymnon is magical.
I'd so love to go again
3 of 3  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » @PeterM