CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

timdownieuk

3rd June 2018, 18:35
Recent weeks have seen frequent "mistakes" in the wee stinker. Anagrams that don't quite work, clues refering to other clues but the wrong number given, incorrect enumeration for the answer etc, etc.

I will be a very sad day when Myops can no longer tease us with his clues. I hope that day isn't immenent but I fear it may be approaching.
1 of 4  -   Report This Post

cerasus

3rd June 2018, 19:28
Are the "mistakes" the fault of the Herald's incorrect reading of John McKie's clues.......Printing errors rather than Myops' errors ?

This is an interesting quote from John McKie regarding going on to the internet to find answers :

“They come on to the blogs and say 'what’s the answer to such and such?' and if somebody gives them the answer it seems to me they are maybe more interested in the T shirt than anything else.”

Rushing to the internet for the answer is not how McKie thinks it should be done. “They often seem to be satisfied with the most ridiculous wrong answer. And sometimes there is something beyond that they haven’t considered - if it fits, that’s good enough. I think if you’re going to have any pleasure from it, you’re going to sit and think about it first.”

2 of 4  -   Report This Post

stevie gee

3rd June 2018, 19:50
imminent ( that is how easy to make a mistake)
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

al_issner

3rd June 2018, 22:51
Well said, stevie gee. I also appreciated your omission of "it is" between "easy" and "to". Your irony did not go un-noticed.
Furthermore, it was very kind of you to ignore timdownieuk's "I will be a very sad day..." Perhaps one day proof-readers will retune...... :-)
4 of 4  -   Report This Post