CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kernavo

2nd June 2018, 20:23
I have completed the grid, unjumbled the unclued entries, found the name and identified the seven
cells, but I a can't to make sense of the preamble concerning the extra words and initial letters. In a way it doesn't matter as I was able to complete the crossword anyway, but would really like to know what the preamble meant!
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd June 2018, 20:31
I'm in the same position as you, Kernavo. I decided to ignore the extra words, initial letters etc until I needed them... I never did!
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

ginge

2nd June 2018, 20:44
The 9 are associated with 5, ie more than 1 of the 9 are associated with some of the 5 whose surnames are given by the "found" letters. As you say, not necessary for completion of the grid but might help a solver who doesn't have any knowledge of the theme (it's one of my main interests and 1a confirmed my thoughts right off).
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd June 2018, 20:54
Thanks, Ginge. I have no knowledge of the theme, no interest in the theme... but it was hard to avoid it this weekend!
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

jogamel

2nd June 2018, 20:57
I take all the above points, but have completed the grid and not found the final 3,5 name via the instruction given “ which links all the thematic material (and) can be traced ..using knight’s moves ending in the central cell, one cell doing double duty.”
Please help someone...
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd June 2018, 21:00
Work backwards, Jogamel. The preamble says 'ending in the central cell'. Do you know what 'the name' is?
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

ginge

2nd June 2018, 21:02
Hi jogamel, the (3,5) is not another 9 but what the 9 have in common as winners of (3,5) a renewal of which took place this afternoon at 4.30 and was televised.
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

jogamel

2nd June 2018, 21:10
Yes Ginge and Malone. I was looking for the two word event and gave up, but will go back now because I couldn’t see the right letters... I might need a bigger hint...
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd June 2018, 21:12
Jogamel, I don't think you'll need a bigger hint. You know what the last letter, to go in the blank cell, is - so just look for the relevant letter before that nearby. It won't take long to trace them all out.
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

nelson

2nd June 2018, 21:25
The 'extra letters' bit is just the alphabet repeating itself with the letters numbered.

S+S would be 19+19= 38. So you would look for what letter comes at 38, which is L.
10 of 20  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ1545