CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

5th May 2018, 14:18
Some initial thoughts, to get the ball rolling, having done about a dozen clues, and started filling in the top right corner:

Why is the grid divided into 4?

Why do most of the preamblic clues have x;x letters- and how can that fit in, especially 5d?

In 6d, what is the relevance of "chosen" ? - my solution doesn't need it.

Thanks in anticipation
1 of 139  -   Report This Post

smartie

5th May 2018, 14:28
Dylan - for 6d look at the third definition of that 2 letter element of the solution.
2 of 139  -   Report This Post

buzzb

5th May 2018, 15:24
The reason for the division of the grid will only become apparent at the end.
Some cells have 2 letters, so it's possible to have 2 different 14-letter entries in 5d, one of 3 words: e.g.

H
D
E
Y
L
L
L
A
O
N

3 of 139  -   Report This Post

buzzb

5th May 2018, 15:26
That did not render correctly:

H
. D
E
. Y
L
. L
L
. A
O
. N
4 of 139  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

5th May 2018, 15:53
I seem to have hit a Golden Hare moment as I have 2 blank spaces in two symmetrically placed across entries and not a clue how to fill them. I also cannot see what the misprint correction is in 4dn - I'm guessing the misprint is the capital H but can't see what it should be corrected to - is it X? Any hint appreciated as this is doing my head in!
5 of 139  -   Report This Post

dylan

5th May 2018, 16:26
Thanks buzzb. I did think something like that might happen, but that requires every entry in the whole column to be doubled, whereas, assuming that Cell 5 is the 3rd letter of 4ac, I have in the next row an unambiguous entry, from 13ac, which looks correct.

Also, I'm concerned that if all 14 of the entries in 5d are doubles, then what happens with 38,41 ac? - you'd need another 11 doubles there, and only 15 clues altogether produce doubles.

I'm puzzled!!
6 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

5th May 2018, 16:37
Hi, s_pugh,

If you have the correct two blank spaces, then the instruction in the corrected letters tells you what to do.

In 4dn, remember that a lexicon was originally a Greek dictionary. What Greek letter is written as X?
7 of 139  -   Report This Post

wintonian

5th May 2018, 16:47
Hi, Dylan,

The second letter of 5dn is common to both answers, as is the 6th letter. The second letter of 38ac is also common to both answers. You need to work out the pairs of letters for the unchecked cells of 5dn and 41ac. These are not included in the 15 two-letter cells given by the 15 clues with two answers differing by only one letter.
8 of 139  -   Report This Post

planks

5th May 2018, 17:09
I am in awe of anyone who's actually finished this one, mind you I have been taking advantage of the sunshine out in the garden most of the day. So far I've cold-solved about 15 clues but the extra letters I have don't currently make any sense at all. Is there a misprint in 1ac, if so is it in 'Far'?
9 of 139  -   Report This Post

planks

5th May 2018, 17:11
I mean 'Fax' of course
10 of 139  -   Report This Post