CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

penda

1st May 2018, 22:06
Hi The Ambler/Penda here.
8dn Cause of martyrdom at canterbury. An unruly state.
The answer is definite either TURBULENCE or TURBULENCY but which? My sweet peas are up an inch so summer cant be far away. Best Wishes T [b/]
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

paul

1st May 2018, 22:09
Turbulence I think. Hope you’re well!
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st May 2018, 22:10
Mmm - St.Thomas was described by Henry II as "that turbulent priest", but it doesn't have the right number of letters. I don't see how "an unruly state" gives either!
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st May 2018, 22:12
Mamya answered this a while back in response to my question. It seems Henry II was often heard to say, in respect of the his Archbishop, "will no one rid me of this turbulent priest" - hence TURBULENCE.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

1st May 2018, 22:16
Chambers defines turbulence as 'a disturbed state', so it seems fine to me! For 'turbulency' it says 'unruly character or action; irregular eddying motion of particles in a fluid; irregular movement of large volumes of air.' That doesn't seem to work as well for the unruly/agitated state.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

penda

1st May 2018, 22:24
Hi Paul how are you And the family
Hi Chrise and Brendan Thanks for your contributions. I think that turbulence is probably right BUT I am not sure that turbulency is ruled out. Both are nouns as is state. I dont think that the clue settles it without doubt. But Thanks again and have a good day tommorow.
T
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

penda

1st May 2018, 22:26
Thanks Malone best wishes
7 of 7  -   Report This Post