CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crucifer

27th April 2018, 19:07
I was expecting something special to mark the milestone puzzle number, and I was delighted to see Kea as the author, as I still think his “Safe-cracking” is my favourite ever Listener. Alas, I was sorely disappointed by this. Many of the clues were write-ins, and even the word-search offered little resistance. Sorry Kea. What have we come to, indeed.
1 of 54  -   Report This Post

ginge

27th April 2018, 19:40
One of the reasons I rarely contribute to this thread, is I am put off trying to help genuine participants who wish to complete the puzzle who are asking (without asking to be derided for doing so), particularly after a reasonable period, by the SMUG comments of those who regularly can and then feel it necessary to (more often or not shortly after or indeed like now on a night before the puzzle is "officially" published) comment on their "appreciation" of the merits of said puzzle.
2 of 54  -   Report This Post

planks

27th April 2018, 20:21
The reason I participate in this forum, rather than the 'other' one is that it has always seemed to offer a non-judgemental, friendly and supportive environment for all the questions and opinions expressed. I do hope this will continue. I enjoyed this puzzle, a good one for newbies.
3 of 54  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

27th April 2018, 20:35
Planks, I think that we should always recognise that Listener composition is a labour of love. I enjoy both sites.

The Answerbank ("the Bleaters") has been very useful in giving critical feedback to the editors. 2018 has been a vintage year, with nearly all offerings being difficult and challenging. It does not permit hints. It is and should be judgmental of the crosswords.

This site ("the Cheaters") is an invaluable resource for me and many others who just get stuck from time to time. As you rightly say it is a friendly club.

4 of 54  -   Report This Post

crucifer

27th April 2018, 20:59
Ginge. I assume your post refers to me. Nice use of capitals! The puzzle is published at 16.00 on a Friday. I was rained off from work, and had an opportunity to have a crack at it early. It was no more difficult than an average Times daily crossword. What is your problem? And what does “more often or not shortly after or indeed like now” mean? If you really need to vent your spleen, do so with a little more respect for the English language.
5 of 54  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

27th April 2018, 21:56
You bear your cross with dignity.

I think that it was a bit more difficult than The Times.

I am all in favour of introductory Listeners, but....
6 of 54  -   Report This Post

crucifer

27th April 2018, 23:16
I try to, Woodlouse! Yes, perhaps a little more difficult than the average Times crossword. But not a proper Listener
7 of 54  -   Report This Post

meursault

27th April 2018, 23:50
For a change, I'll attempt to be the peacemaker. Ginge, I understand what you're saying, I've detested it at times but also been guilty of doing it myself : in fact I'm coming to see that the best thing would be not to offer opinions on the puzzle at all, but to limit my contributions on the forum to answers...

...though I can't help expressing a simple riposte to the setter, "So, where do we go from here ?"

And thank you so much to DJA. For scheduling reasons I only had the opportunity to solve the puzzle this evening.
8 of 54  -   Report This Post

turast

28th April 2018, 07:47
I worked out the message, then I couldn't find "Blondie" anywhere.
9 of 54  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th April 2018, 09:19
I tend to think of this site as the "friendly nudgers", rather than the cheaters! The other site can tend to be a little self-righteous and condescending at times, but does give good critique of all puzzles. As for this puzzle, which is on the easier end of the scale, I assume what we are highlighting is the number of times they have used the same riff!
10 of 54  -   Report This Post