CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

k

30th June 2010, 09:56
A long grind but we got there in the end!

I thought it was worth mentioning that the same
'extra' word could be deduced from both 41a & 10d
but only one is needed for the link to a member of the 'gang of four'.

Good luck
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

laura

30th June 2010, 10:09
Morning k. I was hoping that you would be around. It seems a hard slog this week. I'm getting there with my grid, but the theme is still eluding me. I wondered if you could give me any pointers to the extra words?
Many thanks.
Laura.x
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

k

30th June 2010, 10:26
Hi Laura

I found the best way to the theme was via the 'misprints' which, in clue order, spell out the name of the work (2 words).
Alternatively if you combine 29a &42a and put the letters in a good anagram machine you'll get the author and from there the 'Gang'.
You will only need the surplus words at this point to complete the exercise.
I can give you the numbers of the 8 extra words but don't want to spoil it for others.
Good luck.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

laura

30th June 2010, 11:04
Thanks k. I'll have another play about with it, I may be back for the numbers! I understand what you mean about spoilig it for others, so many people seem to ask for help before they have done any ground work.
Many thanks.x
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

laura

30th June 2010, 17:05
Hi k- I'm back again. I've got my man, and I know who the gang are, but I'm having difficulty still with the extra words and also associations. Are the associations a consistent pattern? I seem to have random words and names, I'm overlooking something- can I blame the heat?hehe.
Many thanks.x
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

k

30th June 2010, 18:00
Hi Laura you're doing well.

You should separate each gang member into two thereby having 8 names/titles.
The formula I used was-
Unclued + gang member = extra word

That applies to four and then-

Gang member + unclued + extra word

As an example -
Doubting + Thomas = Sceptic (24d)

If this isn't clear then come back

Cheers x
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

k

30th June 2010, 18:02
Correction

2nd four Gang + unclued = Extra word.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

laura

30th June 2010, 21:27
You've rescued me again k! I've got there, thanks to your help. It all fits together nicely and is a satisfying end. I need to learn to think outside the box a bit more then maybe I won't be asking for help so often. Until then please don't go anywhere.haha. Ready for my spectator now.
Thanks again.x
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

laura

30th June 2010, 21:27
You've rescued me again k! I've got there, thanks to your help. It all fits together nicely and is a satisfying end. I need to learn to think outside the box a bit more then maybe I won't be asking for help so often. Until then please don't go anywhere.haha. Ready for my spectator now.
Thanks again.x
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

k

30th June 2010, 21:34
Well done Laura as that was a very tricky one.

You will find that you'll sail through the Spectator now.

Regards K
10 of 15  -   Report This Post