CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

durban

7th April 2018, 17:20
A little tale of Schadenfreude to cheer you up. Unusually and for no reason I can recall, I started with the first of the clues instead of the last. Having solved the first three across it was abundantly clear, from their misprints, that we were here celebrating this week's centenary of the creation of the Royal Air Force. Note that this experience tends to disprove the proposal in the quotation!
1 of 75  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

7th April 2018, 17:30
Not an easy puzzle. I limped rather than cantered over the line.

At least it’s a theme everyone has heard of.
2 of 75  -   Report This Post

bananabean

7th April 2018, 17:36
can you give me a hint for 15a, please?
3 of 75  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

7th April 2018, 17:42
15a is entered thematically. It is a Christian name of a relevant person in the clue.
4 of 75  -   Report This Post

bananabean

7th April 2018, 17:49
Thanks. Am I right to assume that all final entries are to be words found in Chambers?
5 of 75  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

7th April 2018, 17:55
No.

They aren’t all real words.
6 of 75  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th April 2018, 18:03
The entries for the eight answers that suffer thematic effects are not real words. As the preamble states, the four answers that are jumbled after replacing some letters are real words. Of the other entries, one is in the list of first names in Chambers, and another is a name that appears only as an adjectival form and in expressions.
7 of 75  -   Report This Post

dylan

7th April 2018, 18:15
You're all ahead of me. I have little done in the SW corner, and I'm struggling to get a coherent phrase out of the letters I have, though I can see where Durban is coming from
8 of 75  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

7th April 2018, 18:18
Made a good start but getting bogged down now. I know the answer to 6a but can't see how it fits the 7 cells. Any hints please.
Correct letters don't seem to make much sense yet. Are they real English words?
9 of 75  -   Report This Post

crucifer

7th April 2018, 18:24
fgs, no, it's not in English. I saw the quotation pretty soon, but had an advantage, as it's in my second language! The quotation is in ODQ, in English
10 of 75  -   Report This Post