CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

24th March 2018, 14:51
Good puzzle, well put together, featuring a great poet and another version of the Heraclitean theme we enjoyed only recently.
1 of 49  -   Report This Post

samovar

24th March 2018, 15:20
Having only just started, I am confused by the instruction that "All answers must be entered with one letter changed. " I have several letter Clashes, but am not sure how to treat them. Very grateful for any help.
2 of 49  -   Report This Post

meursault

24th March 2018, 15:31
Hi Samovar. In the final grid, each entry is one letter different from its clue answer. Initially, it's useful to write the clue answers down without entering them wholly into the grid. Where you find intersections that match you can be mostly (but not completely) confident that those letters won't change. As you get further on in the solving, you'll probably find the quotation's source before you find the quotation. For the source, it is a poem title followed by first- and surname of poet. I hope this helps for now.
3 of 49  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

24th March 2018, 15:38
I too am at the same stage as Samovar. Please can someone give some hints to get me moving again. What do we do with clashes? Also stuck on 20a, 19a, 24a and 15d. Thanks.
4 of 49  -   Report This Post

samovar

24th March 2018, 15:46
Thank you very much, Meursault. I will do as you suggest!
5 of 49  -   Report This Post

meursault

24th March 2018, 15:54
Hi fgsltw, of course eventually you'll need to jump off the fence with the clashes, but probably it's best to wait until you have the couplet from the quotation. Then it's easy enough to decide which letters must change.

19 correct letter in the clue is E. 20 is a wee test, correct letter in the clue is N. 24 is anagram of merchandise but without the letters from cash. correct letter in the clue is Y
6 of 49  -   Report This Post

meursault

24th March 2018, 15:59
...and 19 is 2 letters for society of etchers included in unit of light
7 of 49  -   Report This Post

meursault

24th March 2018, 16:04
Sorry, you asked for 15D also. It's the other half of the name of a famous Scottish golf course
8 of 49  -   Report This Post

wintonian

24th March 2018, 16:50
I was completely unfamiliar with the poem featured this week, so very grateful for the Internet. It’s a particularly long poem, and my way into finding the quotation was to identify the letters that needed to change for the first three across clues, which made a three-letter word, and then find all occurrences of the word in the poem. I found one plausible phrase that, if you omitted the last word, consisted of 44 letters, which is the number of clues. This helped to complete the last few words.

By the way, the correct letters in the across clues spell out the title of the poem and the first name, middle initial and last name of the poet.
9 of 49  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

24th March 2018, 17:49
Hi Meursault

I agree a good puzzle. Usually I blunder through The Listener with the theme becoming apparent at the eleventh hour. In this case a lucky guess after cold solving half a dozen across clues game me the theme and quote.

That was a great help in filling and backfilling the rest of the grid entries.

I then took a look at the thematic work. Not really my cup of tea!

10 of 49  -   Report This Post