CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

18th March 2018, 09:38
I see no posts this week and I am struggling again. So I wondered if you had all found it relatively easy????
1 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

18th March 2018, 09:40
Sorry, jogamel - I DID find this one relatively easy, and very good fun. If you're stuck on any nasty-seeming clues, just post details.
2 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

18th March 2018, 10:29
Thanks Malone. A few nudges would help to keep me involved. 15a Publican, contemptible sort, keeping fish for American people. I have ??I??I?
The preamble is too complicated to reproduce here but can you tell me if my short answer for 35a is correct. I have SLEEPER but obviously I am at a loss as to how to get a longer answer to fill the grid. Similarly with 2d which I cannot parse at all ..
I am hoping you can still look at your completion to help me. Thanks in advance...
3 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

18th March 2018, 10:39
15. This is a B clue, with an extra word/phrase - in this case it's Publican.
Coincidentally, you've mentioned 35 A - if your grid's amenable, you could maybe see how these two are connected?
15. The 'contemptible person' is a bit slangy - a three-letter word, also a bird. The fish (inside) is very commonly used in crosswords. The definition is 'American people' - but American people I'd never heard of!
4 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

18th March 2018, 10:46
My brain is firing much better. I had found the American people before I got to read your post. (A miracle as I was thinking rat not tit) and yes your other nudge is wonderful. So I’ll persevere then. I do find this fun especially when I’m confined to barracks by the weather. Thanks again. I’ll be back no doubt...
5 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

18th March 2018, 10:50
Thanks, jogamel. For 2 D, look through other clues to find the word that defines what you've got there (well, what you've likely got!).
6 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

18th March 2018, 11:59
Another hefty shove I think needed for 12a....
I cannot get the short answer...letters I have for the longer answer are ?ALLOW????E?
Help please
7 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

18th March 2018, 12:03
You haven't given the clue!

Look fierce and good at a more basic lever.
The answer has six letters - the definition is 'look fierce' , from Good and then a word meaning 'lower level'.
8 of 37  -   Report This Post

jogamel

18th March 2018, 12:12
Sorry...and thanks again...
9 of 37  -   Report This Post

malone

18th March 2018, 12:16
Jogamel, there are quite a few solvers on here who don't see all the papers - they can't attempt to help if the clue isn't given. I don't get the Guardian or the Telegraph, but I quite like having a bash at those if solvers post on here...with the clues!
10 of 37  -   Report This Post