CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

26th June 2010, 15:20
Afternoon all. Bearing in mind my local paper is prone to mistakes and rubbish clues, may I ask some help with these:

Revolutionary regime cut back - worker is refugee (8) --I----T

Bill has little money, so shows stress (6) -S---T

Birds on places of safety (5) L---S. L(arks)? If so, how does the L come about?

Provide more drinks in seclusion = retreat. Why?

Finally, for a bit of a diversion, can anyone ID this for me? I saw them briefly on TV (over the end credits of an episode of Room 101) - blokes in evening wear, the leader holding a live lamb in his arms. 1970's I'd say.
[url]http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Where+Sheep+May+Safely+Graze/2UDJrW[/url]

Many thanks
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

ajt

26th June 2010, 15:30
the first is emigrant
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

ajt

26th June 2010, 15:31
then accent - sorry this is piecemeal
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

donf932

26th June 2010, 15:31
the second is accent
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

ajt

26th June 2010, 15:34
retreat - stand another round? I'm thinking about the birds
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

27th June 2010, 07:16
Thanks to both of you. Yet another messed up crossword from my local. The S where 'accent' should be is correct(!!). How the compiler gets away with it I don't know. And 'larks is looking more likely as it's now L-R-S.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

ajt

27th June 2010, 07:58
Pooksahib, I'm really not being sarcastic, but there are so many crosswords around, who bother with one that you find so frustrating?

I think you're right about the birds - has to be larks. I was wondering about sky larks - whether you could think of the sky as a place of safety.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

27th June 2010, 11:15
You've got a point but perhaps I'm just a bit of a masochist. I don't encounter that many crosswords as I'm not a newspaper buyer - the Mail and local are the ones taken in by the rest of the household.

For larks, I was assuming the Ark was a place of safety. I never lose any sleep over an unexplained clue though.

Cheers.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post