CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aspria

10th February 2018, 09:12
Stuck on the first across alteration. Given the change that has already occured I just can't see which of the other two possible letter changes leads to the next new word. Nudge appreciated.
1 of 98  -   Report This Post

gitto

10th February 2018, 10:00
aspria, do you mean 13A, or the next across clue to change?
2 of 98  -   Report This Post

aspria

10th February 2018, 10:45
the next, gitto
3 of 98  -   Report This Post

gitto

10th February 2018, 11:15
aspria, I am stuck there also, as if I change the 1st letter I cannot find an answer for the next down with 2 of 3 contiguous letters changed because I need to change the last letter of it to continue. If I change the 3rd letter of the 2nd across word there is only one solution for the next down clue and this doesn't give a solution for the next across!! I'm beginning to think my (obvious?) starting point is wrong, unless a changed letter reverts back to the original letter later on in the series of changes - if that is so, I think I'll give up
4 of 98  -   Report This Post

aspria

10th February 2018, 11:38
Yes, that's precisely the reasoning I arrived at. There doesn't seem to be any alternative for the first one down that I can see. Hmmmm
5 of 98  -   Report This Post

planks

10th February 2018, 11:39
I'm in the same boat. I can make two changes that sort of work but then come unstuck trying to make the next in the SE corner. I think I must have made a mistake somewhere.
6 of 98  -   Report This Post

dylan

10th February 2018, 11:39
yes, I'm worried that if there are several options, they could start to multiply to a huge number of possibilities.

On a more mundane note, I don't understand the wordplay for 7ac, where I have a good answer for the definition.
7 of 98  -   Report This Post

gitto

10th February 2018, 11:43
Dylan, 7a is Po's + her(e)
8 of 98  -   Report This Post

foinaven

10th February 2018, 12:03
I seem to have got through the first 14 replacements and then hit a brick wall, but I had no problem with the first across replacement. I made the obvious change in 13a, then changed 2d, and so the next across was 22a. I changed the first letter and then there was a perfectly sensible alteration for 11d. In each case it was possible to find three successive letters in the clue which contained both replacements.

Presumably the final step will involve another replacement in 13a. I am not sure what that is going to give me for the final version of this entry.
9 of 98  -   Report This Post

gitto

10th February 2018, 12:13
foinaven, thank you for making me read the preamble again!! Back to the drawing board
10 of 98  -   Report This Post