CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

laura

22nd June 2010, 23:03
Hi.
I just wondered if I could pick anybodys brain about this weeks ev, (hopefully K is around?)
I have the theme bit I can't find the lady responsible. Also I can see that some of the thematic answers have lost a letter, but I can't see how to find the 2 letters alterations as I've seen on a previous thread.
Any enlightenment would be wonderful.
Many thanks.
Laura.x
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

k

22nd June 2010, 23:22
Hi Laura

I fear I could have misled Graudian in the previous post to which you refer.
While there are 10 thematic clues which are 'beheaded' 5 of them need two things doing to them prior to entry into the grid.
Where some treated solutions are merely beheaded i.e 14 Holysee (enter as Olysee) some are reversed for entry i.e 23a Undergo loses it's head and is reversed ogredn

Come back if this doesn't make sense.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

laura

22nd June 2010, 23:32
Thanks k. I understand what you mean, I'll have another plY with it now. I may be back to you, haha.
X
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

new boy

24th June 2010, 13:48
Does anyone know what the significance of the reference in the preamble to 6ac and DEATH PURG'D is? Has any adjustment to be made.

Thanks in advance
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

k

24th June 2010, 15:29
Yes New Boy, the 'heads' (6a) must be removed and those letters spell out DEATH PURGD
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

new boy

24th June 2010, 19:12
Many thanks K
I had already removed the heads of ten across clues before entry. The reference to 'death purgd' seems just to be an aid as to what letters had to be omitted. I could have saved some solving time if I had known this beforehand as I was not keeping a record of the omitted letters.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

k

24th June 2010, 19:24
You're welcome New Boy.

As you say it was merely a final check of the 'beheaded' letters.
Make sure you highlight the 'lady' as I had my entry in the envelope and ready for mailing when I suddenly remembered!
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

new boy

24th June 2010, 20:38
Yes, K. I won't forget to highlight the lady. She is shaping up nicely in the centre of the grid.

Good luck with your entry.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Ev 920