CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rossim

2nd January 2018, 22:04
Did anyone watch The Chase tonight?

One of the contestants was 'John from Brighton' who said his occupation was cryptic crossword setter.

I wondered if he is a setter of some of the clues that turn up on this forum.
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd January 2018, 22:08
Hi Rossim, I think it might be John Halpern alias 'Paul'.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

rossim

2nd January 2018, 22:19
Thanks Brendan. I will look him up on google.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd January 2018, 22:23
I just had a quick look at his LinkedIn profile and he's listed as 'The Uk's No 1 Cryptic Crossword Setter', Brighton England.

Apparently, under the name of Paul, he sets for The Independent, Guardian, Times and FT - quite a CV! How did he do on the show?
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

rossim

2nd January 2018, 22:39
I've been back and watched the start on ITV Hub.
I missed his chat with Bradley as I was cooking. He did say that he set for the Guardian etc under a pseudonym.
He made £5000 in his head to head but there were only two in the final and the chaser caught them.
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

tintin

3rd January 2018, 07:29
It was definitely "Paul" from the Guardian. He compiles as Mudd in the FT.
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

chrisg

3rd January 2018, 08:06
He said one of his favourite clues is “How to make cheese when plucking a hedgehog” Ans Caerphilly (carefully)
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd January 2018, 08:13
Chrisg, I think the cheese clue is almost great... shouldn't there be some indication of the 'sounds like' aspect?
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

chrisg

3rd January 2018, 08:21
Hi malone yes I agree with you ...no indication was given ..a ? Would have helped or an “on the radio” somewhere in the clue
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd January 2018, 08:29
Thanks, chrisg. Maybe 'Paul' would have put a question mark if he'd written down the clue? As he was speaking, we can't really tell!
10 of 14  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » The Chase