CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzlover42

17th December 2017, 09:22
Spoiler alert.

X, 2010, 2061, 3001 in Arabic numbers or their equivalents in Roman numerals (trying to avoid a complete spoiler) did NOT seem to make a series, either in terms of addition, number / letter patterns or anything else to me.

Have I missed something?
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

nelson

17th December 2017, 09:49
BIG SPOILER ALERT!

Google a list of his works. I have to say, I'd only ever heard of the famous one. In your list of numerals, apart from the years you've given you should also have MM. This requires another single 'missing' numeral.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

orson

17th December 2017, 09:52
I don't know where you get your X from at the beginning, jazzlover, but otherwise your numbers are correct. Have you got the unclued entries in the top and bottom rows because they will explain a lot? This is not a mathematical series; the puzzle commemorates someone's anniversary.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

17th December 2017, 10:15
I used X as a missing number example - eg X + 8 = 13.
I think I know the right answer, but was just querying the logic of the sequence.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

17th December 2017, 10:17
Yes, I know, Nelson. I'd finished the puzzle before posting - I'd just like to discuss the logic. Seems to me, there's no logic for that sequence.

BIG SPOILER ALERT

MMI, MMMI, MMMMI would have worked better, would it not?
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

nelson

17th December 2017, 10:57
Sorry jazzlover, I was wrong with my numerals in last post.

Now I've looked again the sequence I have is:

MMX, MMLXI, MMMI.

So the missing number would go at the beginning and make a logical sequence.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

17th December 2017, 10:58
Sorry, jazzlover, I don't see what you're getting at. My sequence seems perfectly logical, linked thematically.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

orson

17th December 2017, 11:00
Jazzlover, you need to see what the books are about to understand the logic. Eg, 2061 because it is about the return of Halley's comet, due in that year.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

17th December 2017, 11:17
Thanks Orson, you've explained it now.

I haven't read the books (except one, as a child) and don't intend to, so that explains the weird sequence.

Happy again!
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

nelson

17th December 2017, 11:26
And what about the title?
I've come across various refs to his work being 'hard'but nothing definitive.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post