CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

9th December 2017, 14:34
Congrats aristo, thanks peterm
71 of 77  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th December 2017, 15:42
Thanks, all.

Sound advice, chrise: just follow the lieder. I've played a number of the Schubert cycles but never a whole one for recital, just individual songs.

My German tutor was from Nuremberg, so I have a southern accent, though in Germany I've been asked if I'm Swedish. My mother was, so it might have been my appearance, but I rather think that my accent has prompted the question. Doesn't make sense to me.

I once met a family who had emigrated from Germany to Texas, and you can't imagine what their Texas drawl sounded like!
72 of 77  -   Report This Post

peterm

9th December 2017, 16:30
How interesting to read of all those with a Germanic interest, all sparked by a PR clue. To lift some of the shadow, aristo, my father was German and meine liebe Frau is a proud Austrian. My kids are dual nationality Brit/Austrian. My German is decent, but I am by some distance the worst German speaker in my family. As my personal protest against Brexit, I have now applied for German citizenship. It's going to take a while, and I'm not certain of success, aber ich bin optimistisch. And I liked your clue.
73 of 77  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th December 2017, 17:37
Thanks, peterm.

My paternal grandfather was from Austria, although his first language was Polish. Even though he didn't change his (and my) surname when he came to America it looks downright English.

Would you actually move to Germany?

Playing Bach is my idea of praying.
74 of 77  -   Report This Post

peterm

9th December 2017, 18:14
No chance of moving to Germany. I don't know anyone there. I won't get anything out of it other than personal satisfaction. Austria might have been possible - still is, I suppose - but I'm rooted in West Kent. I just count myself lucky to be able to visit Austria pretty much whenever I want. That suits me fine.
75 of 77  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

9th December 2017, 18:18
Aristo, I too have been asked if I'm Swedish, by a Czech seller of paintings on Charles Bridge in Prague. German was the only language we had in common.
76 of 77  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

9th December 2017, 22:14
Ah, stevea- my compatriot.

Ah, peterm- Kent. Do you garden on a grand scale?
77 of 77  -   Report This Post