CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crucifer

1st December 2017, 19:36
At first glance this looked as if it might prove rather a challenge, especially with so many of the circled letters being in the unclued entries. But little more than half an hour saw it off, despite no recollection of the source material. Some very elegant clues, but too easy, alas.
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

cockie

1st December 2017, 20:09
Very straightforward for a Salamanca ... apart from one irritating snag.
10A is clear from the definition, but the wordplay eludes me completely. Any guidance?
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

crucifer

1st December 2017, 20:23
Hood is obviously the gangster, and Robin Hood was hero to the Saxons and villain to the Normans
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

cockie

1st December 2017, 20:55
You're right of course, but it seems a bit feeble. Are we being lulled into a false sense of security with a Kea to come perhaps?
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

riversk

1st December 2017, 22:43
I have an E in my answer to 4, 35 that seems to be unaccounted for in the wordplay. My problem must be with "Tree guardian." Thanks.
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

crucifer

1st December 2017, 23:02
Riversk, I assume you have the “forester” element; the three letter word which goes round it not in Chambers, it’s an invention by the author of the tiresome theme work. Not a good clue
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

crucifer

1st December 2017, 23:04
...I meant “goes round it is not...”
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

riversk

2nd December 2017, 05:31
Thanks, crucifer. Clearly amusing only to those who already know the theme. Really hate to be negative, but a commentary on the puzzle as a whole, I think.
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

gitto

2nd December 2017, 09:28
I found the clues either for too easy or not very good. A rather trivial and unenjoyable Listener for me.
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

verlaine

2nd December 2017, 11:51
Yes, very easy compared to most Listeners. On the subject of 10ac I think it's that gangsters live in the apostrophe 10ac, think West Side Story perhaps?
10 of 20  -   Report This Post