CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tony

14th June 2010, 17:19
Has anyone made any headway on this week's puzzle?
The preamble is very convoluted with the 'extra' letters and the pairs of consecutive letters.

Could I have a couple of pointers so that at least I can make some sort of start?

Thanks a lot.
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

k

14th June 2010, 18:43
Hi Tony

The crossword is not as daunting as it looks.
The consecutive removed letters are 3 sets of 2 l from the across clues which will make up a Go-Getter. Similarly 3 down clues contain 2 consecutives letters resulting in another Go
-getter.
The quotation from the single extra letters is 7 words.
Hope this helps - Good luck.
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

tony

15th June 2010, 10:53
Thank you K
I have now got a lot of the single extra letters and the words in the phrase are forming. I have had trouble deciding which clues contain the 2 consecutive letters which must be dismissed before solving and the thematic abbreviations mentioned in the preamble are a mystery.
Any additional help would be appreciated.
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

anniec

15th June 2010, 11:04
Hello Tony - the consecutive pairs are in 18.22 and 23 ac and in 3, 7 and 6 dn. The thematic abbreviations remain a mystery to me too (I am guessing bowling abbreviations?) - we will have to wait for K t enlighten us!
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

anniec

15th June 2010, 11:05
Sorry Tony - that should be 8 dn not 6 dn!
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

k

15th June 2010, 11:17
Hi Tony & AnnieC

First off Tony I misled you by saying the extra letters would lead to the quotation! What I should have said was the 7 word phrase spell out an instruction.
Annie has given you the pairings of the two Go-Getters and she has hinted at the theme. If you
take the extra letters from 27d LBW I think you will recognise the thematic abbreviations!

Can I just caution against relying on Google for the words (not word! as in the preamble) but rather the ODQ version.
Good luck.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

tony

15th June 2010, 14:14
Thanks for the help K. I am making heavy weather of this and can't believe that it is not harder than The Listener.
I now have the first 4 words for the instruction and they seem to confirm the sporting theme.
I am entering words in the grid and then trying to work them back to the clue but some just do not make sense. 1a & 15d are good examples.
Please help.
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

k

15th June 2010, 14:57
Hi Tony

This EV was as challenging as a Listener, but persevere and you'll enjoy the PDM when it arrives!
15d - a Dunstable is a straw hat.Remove the D (head falls off) = Unstable -( Top Heavy). Remove the B (bowled/thematic abbreviation) then enter
ELUANTS into the grid.
1a I am still not altogether happy with this one.
DR = Debtor ..CESS ( examination ?) remove the extra letter C = DRESS (suit)

Hope this helps.
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

laura

16th June 2010, 16:01
I'm really struggling with this weeks ev, but I'm reluctant to give up as I have filled most of my grid. I don't seem to be able to identify the go-getters from the dissmissed letters. I still seem to be a little way off identifyig the words from extra letters. Any help to stop me tearing my hair out would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks.x
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

k

16th June 2010, 16:53
Hi Laura

From 18 HO - 22 RN -23 BY

From 3 BA - 7 RL - 8 OW

Google these two names and you will see the activity they were involved in which will help with the abbreviations.
Note the final lines of a famous work.

Good luck
10 of 21  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 919