CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

8th October 2017, 15:01
A nice puzzle ... but the alteration to the perimeter EITHER produces a second abbreviation OR the two letters go in a checked cell. The only explanation which doesn't introduce this uncertainty is if the entry at 20 is not regarded as an abbreviation. A pedantry too far?
1 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th October 2017, 15:17
Hi cockie, I agree and Chambers does give 20a as an abbreviation. Perhaps (un)checked is a typo.
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th October 2017, 15:22
As an afterthought, after making the alteration all of the the altered cells are "technically" unchecked. Perhaps the preamble could have been better worded.
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

cockie

8th October 2017, 16:54
I'm sticking with the double making a 4-letter word. I'm embarrassed to see that, after posting my first query, I still have an answer unsolved (although with only one letter missing it was east to overlook). 29 eludes me, as I can't see where the changed letter goes. Is the def the first few words, or the last few?
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

8th October 2017, 17:07
Hi again cockie, although I don't submit I also put the double letter in the 1st cell of 26a.
29a. in => on.
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

9th October 2017, 18:34
I have made a reasonable ( for me ) start on this in between preparing for a meeting tomorrow but I have far more down answers than across. Apart from definites I think I know the answers to a further four across ones but just need to find the altered letter in each clue to confirm them. I intend playing with this on the train tomorrow but would appreciate a pointer as to where the name for the group ends and the fifth character's name begins. Apart from that is the unclued answer at 30 across a name of Germanic origin?
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th October 2017, 18:49
Hi alwayspuzzled, 30a surname tends to be associated with Germany but not the nationality of this character. 6d misprint is the 1st letter of the 5th character.
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

9th October 2017, 19:34
Thank you for that Ginge. I now have the group ending in I and the first five letters of the fifth character as Banch. At least I now have something to work on tomorrow.
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th October 2017, 19:37
Hi again alwayspuzzled, your last letter of the group looks wrong as does the 2nd letter of the 5th character. Hopefully you'll look back in before tomorrow.
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

10th October 2017, 06:12
Thank you for that Ginge. It will give me something to ponder once I am on the train.
10 of 27  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1299