CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jabiru

4th October 2017, 10:51
Peers a one so stately. (6)

Pattern ? O ? ? E ?

It could be nobles (peers) but I cannot parse the answer

Determined attack to make television devoid of sensation. (4,3)

Pattern ? E ? T ? E ?

Thanks in anticipation.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th October 2017, 10:58
It the clue is

peers at oneS so stately, then NOBLES would fit
( double definition)
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th October 2017, 11:05
dead set
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

jabiru

4th October 2017, 12:41
I could have lost the s in ones which would fit. I lost the t in at in typing, but the rest is as I transcribed it today.

nonetheless the answer is appropriate, although as an Aussie I have difficulty in reconciling noble with stately. I can identify stately homes, and stately procession, but I am not really comfortable with stately people. Several definitions come close, but for me they do not get the Guernsey. Still the puzzle is from a book of cryptics which may not be kosher. My preferred setter is a stickler for accuracy. whereas some publishers here use second rate setters to reduce costs.

Thank you for your response.

4 of 8  -   Report This Post

jabiru

4th October 2017, 12:43
dead set looks good to me. However we have a T where there should be a D. We will have to review the other word.

Again thanks for the quick response.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th October 2017, 13:01
hi jabiru
Happy to help

I have just checked my Chambers dictionary (an excellent source for crossword- setters and solvers) and under 'noble' are the following synonyms (adjectives) :
illustrious; high in social rank or character; of high birth; impressive; stately; generous; excellent, worthy.
noun: a peer; a person of high social character or rank .........and more......
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

jabiru

4th October 2017, 13:13
I had the wrong end of the stick, I searched for a definition of stately which was not helpful. The definition of noble as quoted does get a pass mark.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th October 2017, 13:19
That's good ;)
8 of 8  -   Report This Post