CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

19th February 2009, 06:56
16a. Capital, could it be holding politician back? *B*L*S* If the answer is TBILISI [the capital of Georgia], why? The only other options would appear to be ABOLISH and OBELISK.
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

mike b

19th February 2009, 08:24
I suppose 'could it' might be 'IS IT' with a LIBeral being the politician?
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

19th February 2009, 09:06
Hi Mike. Thank you for your response and I had [honestly] looked at that possibility but thought that it was rather tenuous. However, in view of recent posts which have questioned the reasoning of the compiler, I have to accept that that is correct and, as an aside, I don't like STEEPLECHASING as an answer in this crossword,
because the noun RACE would suggest STEEPLECHASE! With best wishes, Caravaggio.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

paul

19th February 2009, 11:52
Can I add my voice to those complaining about the RT crossword clues, particularly this weeks.

I have a concern over 14d "Fruit in courtyard is for elelephant maybe"

I get the answer as QUADRUPED. I can see the QUAD (courtyard) bit, but where does the fruit come in?
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

paul

19th February 2009, 11:54
Sorry should read elephant not elelephant!
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

philip

19th February 2009, 12:06
I guessed it was an anagram of "pured" but once again it seems very obscure.
PHILIP
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

mel

19th February 2009, 12:09
I agree with PHILIP but its one of those clues you solve after you have got the answer, if you see what I mean. That to me is not what crosswords are about I have been doing cryptics for more years than I care to remember, but there is no way I would have linked fruit and pured in this clue, or am I missing something?
M
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

deekay

19th February 2009, 12:11
Hi Paul. 'Drupe' is a kind of fruit - hence this explains Quadruped

As a comment on the other posts. It is TBILISI with 'is' for 'could' with the 'lib' and 'it'.

I agree that STEEPLECHASERS is a bit weak but rather than relating it to the noun RACE Chasers would relate to the CHURCHMAN

Deekay
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

19th February 2009, 13:01
Hi Deekay. The answer is STEEPLECHASING when the clue is 'Race for high churchmen?' and that's why I think that the answer is contentious. Regards,
Caravaggio.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

terry

19th February 2009, 13:33
I would have thought you guys might have thanked Deekay for putting you out of your misery over Tbilisi and drupe, rather than continuing to bang on about steeplechasing.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post