CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

yidreg77

6th September 2017, 20:25
Evening everyone, hope you're all well:)..today's clue is...King in goal for slow movement...as always, all help very much appreciated.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

6th September 2017, 20:27
Largo, a musical notation/instruction that means 'slow'. Anagram of 'goal' and 'r' for king.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

yidreg77

6th September 2017, 20:33
Thanks Malone, you're a star:)..why does R stand for King??, if you don't mind explaining.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

yidreg77

6th September 2017, 20:44
No worries Malone, I googled it, abbreviation of the Latin word Rex(King)..I learn something new every day:)..Thanks again for your help, I'd be lost without it:)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

6th September 2017, 20:47
Glad I could help. R = king is because R stands for Rex, Latin for King. R = Queen too, as it can stand for Regina (Latin). You sometimes get ER - that's Elizabeth Regina (our present Queen) or it can mean Edwardus Rex, King Edward.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

6th September 2017, 20:48
No worries, yidreg - I was checking it out in Chambers and making sure I had it all correct. It's just something I've seen used a lot, so I didn't give it much thought today.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

yidreg77

6th September 2017, 21:02
You're a star Malone, I wish I had your brain power, speak again soon my friend:)
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

6th September 2017, 21:14
Thanks,yidreg- but most of my info came from Chambers!
8 of 8  -   Report This Post