CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mark

7th June 2010, 23:19
Im sure the brainy people on here will get me the answer to this clue, its been bugging me all day

Lifting device with spars (9)
S-E-R-E-S
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th June 2010, 23:26
sheer·legs [ shr lègz ] (plural sheer·legs) or shear·legs [ shr lègz ] (plural shear·legs)

noun

Definition:

hoisting apparatus with two legs: a lifting device consisting of two poles tied together at the top and spread apart at the bottom with a pulley suspended from the apex ( takes a singular or plural verb )

[Mid-19th century. < variant of shear]

Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

2 of 5  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th June 2010, 23:28
Chambers gives sheerlegs - one of the spars of shoes - whatever the spar of a shoe might be.
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th June 2010, 23:29
I'd never heard of it Mark - this site is good for putting in your known letters and checking the options

http://www.onelook.com/
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

mark

7th June 2010, 23:32
Thankyou both, and I did use this website with my known letters, all it came up with was steerless (no rudder), anyway problem solved, thanks again
5 of 5  -   Report This Post