CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

2nd August 2017, 11:54
I'm not aware of there being any warning but I have called this morning and apparently the site is being upgraded and won't be available till Friday. Let's hope at least we get the crosswords posted that have been missed ....
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

pigale

2nd August 2017, 12:06
Hi Prospero,

I presume you are a subscriber to The Times on line?

In this case, you can access all of today's puzzles on 'The puzzle
section of the Times' website
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

2nd August 2017, 12:09
Upgrading today ... TLS will no longer be available
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

prospero

2nd August 2017, 12:27
I only subscribe to the crossword club - partly because it's cheaper, partly because the paper has become little better than a tabloid and partly because I want to contribute as little as possible to the Murdoch empire. That's upsetting that TLS will not be available - my weekly treat .... does anyone know why?
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

2nd August 2017, 13:13
I didn't think you could just subscribe to crossword club ... i pay £8.67 for online Times ... you can download the prize puzzles from the "Puzzles" section on there/ fill in your answers in the grid and submit from there ( or get them from the crossword club website)

It says on the crossword club forum that the TLS is run by different people . They never wanted it on crossword club website and after the revamp it won't be available, although other puzzles including O Tempora, Sunday GK puzzles and some others will be on there.

You can take out a subscription for TLS .......works out at £1.50 a week ... don't think many will be partaking though!!
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

pigale

2nd August 2017, 13:29
I subscribe to the same package as you xwordfan, and the
further advantage for me is that here in France, I could never
get The Times or any other British newspaper at such low
cost - and in Winter, foreign newspapers are not always available (I live in a village).
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

mamya

2nd August 2017, 13:44
Very disappointed that the TLS will go, it was one of the highlights of the week for me.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

prospero

2nd August 2017, 18:21
Pigale - The Guardian is free - and has the genius crossword every month ...
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th August 2017, 13:35
In case anyone's still following this, finally after two calls seven emails and two chats I got an answer. Apparently, since 2014, people who had subscribed were given free access to the crossword club but not the paper(s). This has now stopped - since the revamp (which incidentally I think is dreadful). The cheapest way to access the crossword alone is £2 a week, with an initial 3-month concession of £6.67 a month. This has all come into place without any notice and I consider it highway robbery - but what else can one expect from that organisation ...
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

pigale

6th August 2017, 13:40
Hi Prospero,

Sorry for the (very long) delay in replying to your post the other
day - just did not see it!

I obviously do not subscribe quite to the same package as you
since I have always had access to the paper.

I agree with you nonetheless, the revamp is awful and, to my
mind, meaningless. They could have given access to the paper
to those who did not have it previously without upsetting the
entire set-up.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post