CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

madge

4th June 2010, 17:13
1. What is the smallest area possible for a triangle whose three sides and its height are consecutive whole numbers of inches?

2. A bag contains a ball known to be either black or white. A white ball is now put into the bag, the bag shaken, and a ball removed. It is white. You now remove a second ball. What is the chance of it also being white?
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

the joker

4th June 2010, 17:24
EVENS?
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

big dave

4th June 2010, 17:42
@ The Joker

Answering a question like this and following your answer with a question mark is no help at all! Go and stand in the naughty corner.

@ Madge

I think the answer is 2-1 on

If you label the first ball as either B1 or W1 and the second one as W2, these are the four combinations after shaking:

B1 W2
W1 W2
W2 W1
W2 B1

Having eliminated the first option we are left with two options containing white and one containing black as the second ball.
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

giddy

4th June 2010, 17:55
Madge - you can put both clues into googleg and get answers

http://able2know.org/topic/145348-1
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

giddy

4th June 2010, 18:02
ps. My favored answer for tho other is

With one white ball in your hand it is still possible to pull out.
1) The original white ball, you have the second
2) The second white ball, you have the first
3) The original black ball, you have the second white ball

2 possibilites to grab a white ball, 1 possibility to grab a black ball.

The probablility that the bag contains a white ball is 2:3

(not my work)
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

big dave

4th June 2010, 18:48
Mine entry was all my own work, and I can't see what you have added to it.
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

giddy

4th June 2010, 19:21
Big Dave
I added nothing and I should have pointed out that it was saying the same as you.
I just found it easier to understand.Sorry.
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

philip

4th June 2010, 19:36
What a load of b***s

I think the answer to the first one is easier than you think in that one of the sides is also the height. I remember being taught by a guy called Pythagoras many years ago and you end up with a 3x4x5 triangle. So the answer is 6 sq inches.

PHILIP
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

giddy

4th June 2010, 19:49
That is for a triangle containing a right angle but,still,if you choose to ignore the fact that 3,4,5,5, aren't really consectutive numbers then you may be right.
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

4th June 2010, 20:29
Question one is incomplete. The smallest right-angled triangle which can be drawn with sides of three consecutive integers is 3, 4 & 5 which, as Philip wrote, has an area of 6 sq inches. However sides of 2, 3 & 4 will form the smallest triangle with sides of consecutive integer values.

The area of any triangle of sides a, b & c can quickly be calculated using Heron's formula:

A = SQRT(s * (s-a) * (s-b) * (s-c))

where s = (a + b + c)/2

So for the smallest possible triangle with sides of 2, 3 & 4 the area will be very slightly more than 2.9 sq inches.

Hope that keeps everyone happy!
10 of 28  -   Report This Post