CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

16th February 2009, 19:32
3 answers that I would like explanations to.

49a. Cat giving creatures like Slow-and-Solid gyp!(13) I have Tortoiseshell as the answer.

27d. Clothes and bedding awaiting delivery?(7) I have, Layette.

47d. Where aircraft may be no good in sea-mist(6) I have, Hanger.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

jonny

16th February 2009, 19:41
47d should be "hangAr".. haar is another word for sea mist, and had "ng" in the middle of it...
about all i could come up with for 49a, apart from the fact its a type of cat, is its giving a tortoise (which is slow) hell
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

16th February 2009, 19:41
49a. Tortoise(slow)+s(solid)+hell(gyp).
27d. A layette is the set of clothes,etc. bought for a new baby. Usually bought before the baby is born.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

trevor

16th February 2009, 20:04
Thanks to both of you.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

trevor

16th February 2009, 22:03
Just realized, "Slow-and-Solid" refers to the tortoise in Aesop's fable, "The tortoise and the hare".
Thanks again.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

16th February 2009, 23:13
Trevor
In the fable the tortoise's performance is always put down to "slow and steady wins the race".
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

16th February 2009, 23:36
Thought about it a bit more and now think you are right despite "solid" not an appropriate word for the fable. "giving creaures slow and solid" should produce a plural, i.e. tortoises. Tortoises simply are slow and solid(not necessarily any reference to the fable). Add "hell".
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

trevor

17th February 2009, 05:46
I did a little research: "Slow-and-Solid tortoise" comes from a RUDYARD KIPLING novel called "The Beginning of the Armadillos"
along with other characters like "STICKLY-PRICKLY HEDGEHOG"
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

terry

17th February 2009, 11:21
Every day a little older and a little wiser.
Thank you.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post