CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

caravaggio

3rd June 2010, 20:17
Good evening to you all. The answer is that Bill is account ergo ac so the construct is BacillUS.
21 of 35  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

3rd June 2010, 20:24
Hi All,

Sorry I haven't been around much for the last few weeks. It's been a non-stop round of concerts and plays all round the island. 'Guys And Dolls' is on all this week but I only set up for that as I'm busy with the http://www.arranfolkfestival.com/">Folk Festival. That will be closely followed by 'We Will Rock You' at the High School for which I am designing and building several special effects.

Anyway, I got #23 finished in 20 minutes over lunch yesterday and thought it wasn't too bad.

I thought 3D was probably the wittiest clue in there. I agree that 10A isn't a very clear clue, but it breaks down like this:

BACILLUS = AC (bill) + ILL (poorly) inside BUS (coach)

The clue is a bit misleading using 'Bill' when it's also in the answer.

I will be lurking over the next couple of weeks, but may not contribute much.
22 of 35  -   Report This Post

dg_gremlin

3rd June 2010, 21:10
Thanks folks,
It has all become clear - I got the bus part and had considered AC for account but didn't connect it with 'bill'.
Thanx, I might be back next week...
DG
23 of 35  -   Report This Post

old gal

3rd June 2010, 21:52
Thanks Philip - have nearly finished now. am pleased to say I completed 10a myself quite early on. Agree with Jolene - this is a good site. John - wish I could see We Will Rock You at the school - caught it at B'ham and really enjoyed it! Hope it goes well.
24 of 35  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

3rd June 2010, 22:12
Nearly finished, Old Gal? After your earlier confession that you've never finished the Radio Times crossword, let's make sure that you do finish this one and then we can all claim Another One Bites The Dust...
25 of 35  -   Report This Post

old gal

4th June 2010, 11:54
OK Caravaggio I give in. I need help with only 4 which is the furthest I have got to finishing. 9a and 16a which I feel I ought to be able to solve if I think a bit harder, and 5 and 17d.

Give me hints I can work on and nothings gonna stop me now!!!
26 of 35  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

4th June 2010, 13:05
Hello Old Gal,

Glad to be of assistance!

4d. To give you the correct definition of the answer, I've always understood this to be a female spirit which proclaims a death in the family to which she is attached. I remember [from somewhere] the phrase "...the ******* wailing of a soul in torment."

5d. You want a five-letter synonym for lamp enclosed by an anagram of 'sets'.

9a. A four-letter word for 'praise' as a verb - the third letter being 'u' for 'universal'

16a. The chemical symbol for 'copper' followed by an an anagram of 'sorry'.

I hope that helps you without my giving you the actual answer because I don't think that's what you want me to do.

Kind regards,

Caravaggio
27 of 35  -   Report This Post

old gal

4th June 2010, 17:36
Yay! All done - many thanks! Quick chorus of we are the champions.......
28 of 35  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

4th June 2010, 17:44
Well done, Old Gal! Make sure that you send in the solution because you don't stand a chance of winning the portable dvd player if you don't...
29 of 35  -   Report This Post

philip

4th June 2010, 18:48
So thats why I never win. I never send it in
PHILIP
30 of 35  -   Report This Post