CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

19th May 2017, 10:55

Thank you for welcome! I stopped for a while because there were so many clues I couldn't parse even when I knew the answer, and just occasionally didn't even understand the parse given by someone else! Seemed to me I should not, in this case, be voting and it was probably time to say Goodbye.
But I was tempted by PIRATE because I have recently come across Aaron Smith's "The atrocities of the Pirates" 1824 (reprint!) in which he refers to someone in my family. He was taken by pirates and made to join them, captured, taken to UK in chains, tried and let off . In 1823 that was amazing. It happened again and then Aaron became "an atrocious swindler"; or not! I was so taken by this story I did (briefly) think about researching it and writing another book. Second thoughts prevailed on that.
Did you finish Saturday's killer sudoku? I have worn the print to nothing with my eraser. Completely given up, brain must be going to mush.
Cheers
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

busby

19th May 2017, 11:12
Hi Rosalind, hope you are well and enjoying life.
Ditto as far as parsing an obscure clue.
But, who knows how other people think.

Take care dear lady, enjoy life.

ps: Should I apologise for interrupting your thread.

;-)
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

rossim

19th May 2017, 11:25
It's good to see you around Rosalind.

As far as the impossible parsing goes I often dismiss any I don't understand due to lack of time. It's usually due to a gap in my GK. However, I generally appreciate the clue that wins, so I struggle on.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

19th May 2017, 12:26
Rosalind, I have sometimes had to ask for a parse of winning clues, while wondering why I couldn't get it when everyone else probably had!
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

rosalind

19th May 2017, 12:39
It's not butting in! Pleased to have your posts.
Hi busby, good to see you again, too! Hope your ankle is completely better.
Hi rossim, I do sometimes take the view that if I can't parse a clue knowing the answer, especially with an explanation, then it would be stratospheric to do so without these things and it doesn't get my vote. I suppose one can take it too seriously but I remember bullfrog saying he had sweated over some of his clues which didn't attract a single vote.Cheers
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

paul

19th May 2017, 13:27
Hi Ros; ditto for me! I often don't have time and even when I do, just don't understand some clues! Please come back (you too Busby) - I for one always value your contribution both on the writing and the voting!
Not doing sudoku these days ~ demands of 5-year old daughter a bit prohibitive!
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

rosalind

19th May 2017, 13:44
I think the killers are getting more and more subtle and I certainly couldn't do one with my 4 year old granddaughter around! Wouldn't want to, either, she's so engaging.
Thanks for the encouragement.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post