CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

8th April 2017, 09:01
I have an almost complete grid, but have almost no idea of what's happening. I find the rubric virtually unintelligible!

I can see that some long answers are reduced, by chopping eg 30 ac. Others that don't fit are replaced by an associated object eg 22ac. Other clues have an extra word.

How to fit all this together eludes me - and I wouldn't mind a tip for 1d and 22d

Thanks
1 of 27  -   Report This Post

planks

8th April 2017, 14:02
All the 'messengers' are of a type that would suit this puzzle to April 1st. If you take said messenger out of 1d you get a word that means upright - I think.
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

dylan

9th April 2017, 08:00
Sorry, Planks, but after another day staring at it, I'm still no wiser! I've got two answers that fit your idea- 30ac and 26d. 39ac loses F--H, but is that a "messenger"?

I'd need some more hints before I get any further eg 6ac, 22d

thanks
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th April 2017, 08:20
Hi

It doesn't lose f??h

It loses s??o

6a is one with a messenger.

The original is a group of Islands in the Indian Ocean beginning with M. 3 letters removed.

22d is another one with a messenger

4 letters removed.

Original is a word for an activity you use hot air for

4 of 27  -   Report This Post

smithsax

9th April 2017, 09:02
Enjoyed this one. Only irritation is that I cannot parse 13 across. The answer is clear but I cannot see the wordplay.
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th April 2017, 09:10
Catty is kin

Take is R (revenue) inside
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

planks

9th April 2017, 09:54
I didn't understand the theme until I found the diagonally placed 6th 'item' which I had heard of - I think one may have to be of a certain age to recall this 'humour'? Personally I never liked it and I'm not sure that my sons would have come across it in their workplaces.
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

orson

9th April 2017, 12:39
I think the R for "take" in 13a comes from recipe rather than revenue.
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th April 2017, 12:55
Yes my mistake.
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

xij

9th April 2017, 17:24
Excellent puzzle throughout, although I must have read the preamble about a hundred times. I wonder if this subject still goes on now, what with all the dangers of being sued. Too many "isms" methinks.
Can anyone explain the wordplay for 6a, not that it matters really because the answer comes from 32.
10 of 27  -   Report This Post