CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bunty

27th March 2017, 13:52
Ground to a halt now with this........help required please with NW and SE sections! I have the second part of the message (or most of it..) so know what to do with the clues before entry

12a Beauty attracts (5) ...possibly charm/ charms ?? no letters placed

14a Anti fraud system likely to occupy company accountant (7) letters in grid "possibly" ????AC ( 1st 2 might be CO for company??)

18a Vehicle on runners in collision at the outset - major operation ensues (8, tw words) I have ????ACT ( although A and C are dubious!)
20a Cover the roots of edelweiss regularly with drop of water (6, two words) ????N. ( I have looked at alternative letters in edelweiss as alternatives ... but getting nowhere fast!)
1 of 30  -   Report This Post

throck

27th March 2017, 14:03
12a Attracts is the definition, and the change described by the second instruction has affected the beginning.

14a The last two letters are CA, which should have a letter in between, in accordance with the second instruction.

18a Your last three letters are correct -- to become AC?T

20a Alternative letters of edelweiss indeed, but lose the S, and the N is right, and follow second instruction at the start.

Having said which, I have the two thematic entries, but am not clear how to apply the first instruction to them.
2 of 30  -   Report This Post

throck

27th March 2017, 14:09
Sorry, not alternative, regularly spaced.
3 of 30  -   Report This Post

keepatit

27th March 2017, 14:21
Throck, I think you simply shift each word one cell to the right, so that the first starts in column 2, the second in column 4.

I read 20ac the same way, letters 3, 6 and 9
4 of 30  -   Report This Post

throck

27th March 2017, 14:38
Thanks, keepatit, that was the only thing I could think of, too.
5 of 30  -   Report This Post

bunty

27th March 2017, 14:43
many thanks throck ... a great help ... that corner nearly sorted now
6 of 30  -   Report This Post

kirky

27th March 2017, 16:07
Stuck on 45a: In LA, conform to expectations with test-drive off-road initially (5,two words). For the grid entry I have E?TO..... have tried all variations of how the 2nd part of the message could have worked... perhaps I have gone wrong somewhere and have a wrong letter??
7 of 30  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

27th March 2017, 16:31
it's Hew To
8 of 30  -   Report This Post

novice

27th March 2017, 22:22
I can't see the two thematic elements- help please!
9 of 30  -   Report This Post

kirky

28th March 2017, 08:10
i can see one of the 2 at the start of row 6 ...move it one column along...looking for the other now...
10 of 30  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1271