CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

k

25th May 2010, 20:43
I've filled the grid and determined the theme, but the rubric indicates that not all the words used can be found in Chambers.
Can anyone put my mind to rest by telling me the word that is in Brewer?
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

jimc

25th May 2010, 20:53
Hi K.

Wish I could help, but I don't even know where/what the EV puzzle is!

BW.
JimC
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

k

25th May 2010, 20:58
Hi Jimc

EV (Enigmatic Variations) is a barred grid crossword in the Sunday Telegraph. It is aimed at the more experienced solver as it usually thematic and needs changes to be made to answers before entry to the grid.

I don't like leaving loose ends - hence my query about Brewer.
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

25th May 2010, 21:28
K - I'm not doing the puzzle - it looks too hard for me - but I do have a brewer if you want me to check on something for you???
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

k

25th May 2010, 21:42
Thanks Sudokusolver.
I've posted off my entry so it's too late anyway
but I do like to tidy up loose ends.
The puzzle involved cold solving and then adapting the clues to enter into the grid whereever they would fit.
As far as I was aware all the final words were in Chambers and I didn't need to refer to my own copy of Brewer. It's just curiosity really and I wasn't sure if anyone on this site did EV and could answer my little query.
Thanks very much for your interest and offer.
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

a

25th May 2010, 21:45
Hello. Sorry to be a nuisance, but I'm reall struggling with the theme this week. I have the majority of the words, but I still seem to be eluded by the theme. Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks. Laura
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

k

25th May 2010, 21:48
Laura

Google 'Queen's Beasts' !
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

laura

26th May 2010, 21:14
Many thanks for the help yesterday. Ive filled my grid now, thank goodness, but i just wondered if you could confirm if i should be amending any entries? Im also still unsure about the three words for under the grid. Sorry to be a nuisance, but i'm fairly new the the ev, and like to give myself a pat on the back when i complete them.
Thanks again
Laura
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

k

26th May 2010, 21:40
Hi Laura
Well done on finishing what was a tricky EV.

Your completed grid should not require any amending & you can varify your thematic entries as they are placed symmetrically in the grid.

I have just placed THE in front of the hint I provided.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

k

26th May 2010, 21:43
Verify not varify!
10 of 16  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 916