CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mop

16th February 2017, 22:34
From the letters I had from other words and the clues given I have got a word that fits the clues and I am sure it is what the compiler has decided is the answer but I do not recognise it as meaning what the compiler indicates it means and I cannot find this meaning in my Shorter Oxford. While the internet does give this meaning all the links it gives does not seem to include that meaning

Can anyone who has solved 23a refer me to a source that gives this as one of the definitions of the word. Thanks

mop
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

mamya

16th February 2017, 23:20
Chambers has that definition.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

magworth

17th February 2017, 12:49
I was surprised too, as I`ve never heard that word for `monylender`. Will someone give me a hint for 16 ac please ? I only have : ? S ? ? ? A ?. I`ve still got a lot of blanks this week !
Mags,
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th February 2017, 12:54
hi mags
seen answered elsewhere as I do not have RT

small dish is def.
word for "lost" around H (hospital)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

rossim

17th February 2017, 12:59
It's sometimes hyphenated 3-4
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

magworth

17th February 2017, 13:46
Thank you, Jazzgirl and Rossim. I`ll have another go ! Mags.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

mop

22nd February 2017, 20:10
I wasn't sure if you were answering my question but I looked at the Chambers 21st century dictionary on the internet and the only definition given for "scrivener" was the one in the Shorter Oxford namely a person who drafts or writes out copies of legalor other official documents. No mention of "moneylender"

mop
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

rusty

22nd February 2017, 21:02
My Chambers has, "a person who lends money at interest to others" for "scrivener"
8 of 8  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT8-23a