CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

13th February 2017, 16:52
I've filled the grid and noticed what the "association" is so in a sense I've finished as there is nothing to highlight or amend. This means that for the 12 special clues, all you have to do is spot the definition part and you can safely ignore the definition-less cryptic part and the word to delete, which seems a shame, somehow.
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

13th February 2017, 17:53
Well done Orson.... I have no idea of the association yet....can you help with these please:

15a Legal restrictions in yobs hanging around disused land (11) To fit my letters I can only see an 8,3 but that's no good??

17d Red army officer fliers nurse thigh injury (6)

17a Woodwork teacher rebuilt old pirates' crates (6)
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

13th February 2017, 18:16
I guess 15a must be a thematic clue, as I have an answer which fits the first two words of the clue as a definition, but can't make any sense of the rest of the clue. It has a hyphen.

I have no idea what the ' association ' is. Still struggling to fill the grid.
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

13th February 2017, 18:21
Cloverjo, my 15 A isn't thematic. It might be what you have, maybe needing a hyphen - I didn't check.

17 A and 17 D are both thematic. I got them from letters I had and from the theme, so I didn't work out all the stuff mentioned in the preamble.

For 17 A, I think 'pirates' is the definition for the entry.

I'm unsure how 17 D works, so won't give a hint that may be unhelpful!
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

orson

13th February 2017, 19:02
At first I thought the title Association was too vague to be helpful, as many words are associated with each other, but in fact it's the perfect title and very helpful indeed.

17d is thematic and "fliers" is the defn.

17a - "pirates" is the defn - an obsolete word for them.

15a - I have the only answer that fits but do not understand how it works.
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

13th February 2017, 19:09
Orson, 15 A (well, my 15 A!) means ' the addition by a lower body of further restrictions to legislation created by a higher authority.'

NB. For those of you without the crossword, there seems no point in giving the clue as I think we've probably all got the answer.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

13th February 2017, 19:10
Sorry, I've just realised that the clue to 15 A is given earlier on this thread. I'm also sorry that I haven't parsed, attempted to parse it all - my answer fitted, seems correct, so that was enough for me!
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

manic mary

13th February 2017, 19:18
Well! You might all be on the right track, but I am (as ever) totally confused, I have half of the grid filled but have no hint of the twelve, or what is going on, heavy hints (very heavy) would be helpful. I just wish I could get into these compilers minds, they are so devious (and so clever) I am not in the same league.
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

orson

13th February 2017, 19:26
Malone, you're right for 15a. I didn't look at the second definition in Chambers.
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

13th February 2017, 19:50
Not in the same LEAGUE... sounds as if you and the ASSOCIATION crossword might make some progress!

Maybe the numbers of some of the affected clues will help.
6 D, 12 D, 17 A and 17 D (hints given earlier), 23 D.
10 of 21  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1265