CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

4th February 2017, 20:36
So, have you noticed how people begin a sentence with "So..." even when there is no prior context and no consequence ? I think it is a recent custom, probably evolving from a modern school of public speaking.

So, I have found 8 clashes. So, I am missing one ? Despite having solved all the clues and understood them all except 3 down ? The other thing I feel a little uneasy about, as I launch into 'wordsearch' mode (or fall asleep, whichever comes first), is that from the bottom row, 12th letter, it is more than a mere knight's errand to my next clash cell, which is the 5th letter of the 3rd row up. Sorry, that she read : "So, the other thing..."

So, I can't help feeling that something has been spilt which I shouldn't waste tears about...
1 of 60  -   Report This Post

throck

4th February 2017, 20:54
If you have a clash that doesn't knightly link to the others, is that the 'further clash'? That would leave a knight's excursion with non-clashing letters at each end, which is hardly helpful. I often find that, the longer the preamble, the less enjoyable the end-game.
2 of 60  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

4th February 2017, 21:33
I've also noticed, and become irritated by, that use of "so". I agree with you about it coming from a changed approach to public speaking: it seems, to me, to be a way to avoid starting, as so many do, with "err". I'm probably slightly less irritated by "so" than "err", so maybe they're right.
3 of 60  -   Report This Post

notrab

4th February 2017, 21:59
4 down looks like C with HEWED (shaped) to give CHEWED (bit working)?
4 of 60  -   Report This Post

notrab

4th February 2017, 22:21
Sorry I meant 3 down -my mind is overtaken by end game boredom
5 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th February 2017, 07:49
Yes, thanks, Notrab. Your suggestion looks more likely than CREWED, for which I couldn't explain the REWED. As predicted, I fell asleep, and am no further on.

Throck's suggestion that the bottom row clash is the 'further' clash also makes sense. In that case there are just 7 'trail' clashes, and the trail is likely to include S or N at the top and D or O at the bottom in order to make a 9-letter trail.
6 of 60  -   Report This Post

unclued

5th February 2017, 09:16
I can't see why 5ac is SHEENIES and also haven't got 42dn. Help appreciated!
7 of 60  -   Report This Post

gitto

5th February 2017, 09:19
Help please! I have 8 clashes and 33 dropped letters, but I don't understand the wordplay to 23 & 26 across and have no idea to 5 across, which is the only answer I need before I look at the end game
8 of 60  -   Report This Post

gitto

5th February 2017, 09:20
Unclued - think of Brigit!
9 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th February 2017, 09:26
Unclued, I have SHAW (not a big wood) NEES for 5A and BARD for 42D, an actress without OT. The last letter is a clash.

Gitto, I make it 36 letters dropped : 5,3,5,7; 4,5,7. 23 is a well-known London district which is also a faraway call. 26 is LAMP, the L from flood is dropped.
10 of 60  -   Report This Post