CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

deslyxic

30th January 2017, 12:55
Hi ~ I recently signed up for the online Telegraph puzzle club, mainly because I worked out it would be cheaper than buying it a few times a month when my favourite Toughie setters were in it, and also because there's a massive archive of puzzles to dip into.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can let me know what the prize puzzles are in the Saturday and Sunday Telegraphs are these days. (Last time I bought it, I think the Saturday cryptic prize was a fountain pen, but maybe that's changed.)

I could be wrong, but I think the prize puzzles are:
Saturday cryptic
Saturday General Knowledge
Sunday cryptic
Sunday General Knowledge
Enigmatic Variations
Herculis General Knowledge? (Mondays, I think)

Bit of a long shot as I guess most people here don't buy all the Telegraphs, but thanks if you can help.

1 of 13  -   Report This Post

mamya

30th January 2017, 13:08
Saturday General Knowledge

Prize

Chambers Dictionary and Chambers Biographical Dictionary.

I get some of the others from a friend with no prize details on, sorry.
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

30th January 2017, 14:33
Thank you, Mamya.

I already have Chambers for doing Azed and Mephisto (never could finish either of them before I bought it), so that's one crossword I won't need to post!
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

30th January 2017, 14:43
Enigmatic Variations is a fountain pen (and notebook, with a ballpoint pen).
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

30th January 2017, 14:54
Thank you, Malone.
EV is a doozy - I've only tried a couple, and failed both times. Probably similar to a difficult Azed special.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

30th January 2017, 14:58
Some of the EVs aren't too bad - yesterday's, for example, was on the simple side. The previous week was ... very tough.
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

30th January 2017, 15:09
Coincidence - this morning my wife said I was on the simple side. I'll have to give yesterday's EV a go. Cheers.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

2nd February 2017, 21:10
Managed to finish EV (I think), so thanks to Malone for the hint that it was one of the gentler ones.
As for the preamble, I thought it was something Sherlockian until the deleted letters started to make sense. I just hope I've managed to follow the re-enactment instructions properly. (As I understand it, a hidden word needs to be replaced by a (themed) place that was historically 'entered' - thus, the final filled grid will differ from the original solved grid, having 8 new words in it, the last one being unchanged.)

I'm trying not to give away too much there, but if I'm way off please break it to me gently.
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2017, 21:33
No, that all sounds correct - and I liked the appearance of new words. It was quite a simple puzzle (to solve) but it was cleverly done.
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

kirky

2nd February 2017, 21:38
Sat Cryptic .... prize also a fountain pen
10 of 13  -   Report This Post