CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buster

28th January 2017, 16:23
I have the grid and the highlighting, but still trying to fathom the significance of 'ratios' in the title - which I assume must definitively identify the 'creator' from the alternatives. I'm 80% drawn to the person who devised the overarching theme, but the Chambers definition of 'harmony' alone could stretch to both.
1 of 71  -   Report This Post

smartie

28th January 2017, 17:09
All done - including alternatives and creator but I'm stuck on 2a although I understand the type of thematic item I'd need to remove. Any ideas to help me with that last clue please?
2 of 71  -   Report This Post

crucifer

28th January 2017, 17:42
Smartie - what is removed from 2 ac is probably the most well-known thematic item, but is in two abbreviated parts, two letters each, and separate from each other in the clue answer.
3 of 71  -   Report This Post

dis

28th January 2017, 17:46
buster, think rat-i-os.
4 of 71  -   Report This Post

buster

28th January 2017, 19:51
Thanks dis, I see it now. Sadly, it doesn't clear up the name I need to enter. It strikes me that we still have two thematic creators whose works are 'harmonies' in one sense or another: from Chambers, either 'a fitting together of parts so as to form a connected whole' or 'music in general'.
5 of 71  -   Report This Post

crucifer

28th January 2017, 20:25
Buster, I share your misgivings about the "creator". I am increasingly inclined to go for the (4,6) rather than the (3,7). I feel "harmony" surely refers to the famous theme tune. But if I'm right, this really is a devilish red herring!
6 of 71  -   Report This Post

smartie

28th January 2017, 20:35
I'm with you Crucifer. I see no ambiguity in view of the clear reference to the "harmony and its creator". The other name is brilliantly included in the double lettering! I, however, am still pondering over 2a!
7 of 71  -   Report This Post

crucifer

28th January 2017, 21:01
Smartie, treat "dash" as an anagram indicator, then it will fall into place. Took me forever to get it!
8 of 71  -   Report This Post

meursault

28th January 2017, 21:47
Think 'Dam', Buster. I don't see that the creator can be other than 4,6.
The harmony is 2,3,6,6.
9 of 71  -   Report This Post

unclued

28th January 2017, 21:52
Agree about the 4,6.
How does "stage of race" equate to YALE in 17. FOR-YALE (rev)
10 of 71  -   Report This Post