CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

15th January 2017, 17:13
Yet again the grid fill, and (98% sure) two messages discovered lead to ..... what the hell do we do now. I'm uncertain about the final 9 letters (2 words, I think) of the longer message. The first word is "erase", but erase what? Grrr!
1 of 41  -   Report This Post

throck

15th January 2017, 17:27
I can see one interpretation of the shorter message, which would lead to a pattern that looks as if it ought to be significant but which means nothing to me. I'm pretty sure the last 9 letters of the longer message are AS OUTCOME -- presumably what has to go below the grid -- but I'm totally stuck as to what that is.
2 of 41  -   Report This Post

cockie

15th January 2017, 18:13
I agree with AS OUTCOME. As a schoolboy I used to fill in the letter O in boring history books - it looks as though I may be being asked to do the same here. 6 are lined up nicely, but the other 4 (assuming they are not among the letters to be erased) are not placed interestingly. Does the title FRAME imply a snookery connection?
3 of 41  -   Report This Post

throck

15th January 2017, 18:26
I, too, wondered about snooker, but couldn't make sense of the number of balls or the shape of the grid.
4 of 41  -   Report This Post

manic mary

15th January 2017, 19:55
Hello! I haven't a clue what is going on, and any help will be much appreciated. I am totally hopeless at guessing what needs to be taken out, so any help with the blundering (without giving it all away of course) would be most helpful to push me down the right road. I am just such a novice.....like to try, but get so dispirited when I can only manage half a dozen clues and have no idea about the preamble.
5 of 41  -   Report This Post

orson

16th January 2017, 10:13
Hi manic mary. I'm about 80% through this one and I must say some of the word play is difficult. 22a is an anagram of religion minus L for Latin and plus an S for sabbath, and I think the I is deleted from waiving.
6 of 41  -   Report This Post

pkd

16th January 2017, 11:57
Could it be something to do with ten pin bowling? The preamble uses the words STRIKE (which I found a bit odd) and SPARE, and there are ten balls (presumably the letter O) to fill in?
7 of 41  -   Report This Post

cockie

16th January 2017, 12:38
pkd is surely correct. The line of balls is aiming at something relevant which, if removed, (a) gives a vaguely relevant anagram and (b) leaves real words. Thanks, pkd.
8 of 41  -   Report This Post

kirky

16th January 2017, 12:47
I have some answers (hopefully!) but can't parse thoroughly thus missing extra letters:

1a fairy unfit to follow through... i have PERI ...per = through but the rest?

24a Exhausted alibi taken to upset legal principle ...RATIO ?

28d What pricks receipted lover, cutting the odds? ... ihave EPEE... can see odd letters of receipted reversed would give E P E E but...

8a Benedictine nun chasing a man from sacred garden (4) A??M
ADAM could be the man from sacred garden ??
9 of 41  -   Report This Post

kirky

16th January 2017, 13:24
28d sorted now
10 of 41  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1261