CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

1st January 2017, 12:23
I can't find a thread on this - which probably means most contributors had a much more alcohol yesterday than I had. However, nice enough puzzle, but mystified as to the reference that all unches in the thematic area are different, as I don't see how any two can be the same!
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

retox

1st January 2017, 12:34
Because Rear could have been an answer otherwise
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st January 2017, 12:46
Best wishes for 2017 to Norah, Ash and all the crossword solver regulars.
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

wintonian

1st January 2017, 13:48
Wishing a Happy New Year to all on the Crossword Help Forum.

Just been checking my statistics for 2016, assuming that the last three puzzles will turn out to be correct. I missed two weeks (Puzzles 4386 and 4387) when I was in Australia in February and didn't make arrangements for the puzzles to be saved. Of the other 51 puzzles (because 2016 was a leap year and the first puzzle was on 2 January, the last one was on 31 December so we had 53 puzzles last year), I made an error in puzzle 4388 ("Cycle 20% More" on Gilbert & Sullivan's operetta "The Grand Duke"), and didn't get the endgame in puzzle 4422 ("Buried Treasure" on the "Masquerade" book with its wretched hare). So that makes 49 out of 53 correct puzzles (so long as there's nothing nasty in the last three weeks that I've not spotted), which I don't think is bad for my first year of trying The Listener Crossword every week. Of course, I must acknowledge the help of many contributors to the Forum, who provided on several occasions the vital hints that clarified specific clues or even entire endgames - thanks for all your assistance.

Looking forward to more crossword challenges in 2017.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

1st January 2017, 14:24
Well done, wintonian. And good wishes to all here.

I don't check solutions but barring silly errors I think I have come within a hare's breadth of an all-complete year.
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

demeter

1st January 2017, 15:50
I'm being particularly slow this week - I can't see the theme.

Hint, please?
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st January 2017, 16:42
Hi Demeter, unfortunately not 'The Great Gatsby.' Look at the title and think about commonalities...and then, the quotation is in a form you'd expect.
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

wintonian

1st January 2017, 16:46
Hi, Demeter,

It's difficult to give a hint that won't give the game away entirely, but the endgame does not involve any altering or erasing of letters in the grid produced by solving the clues and working out the nine unclued entries. The puzzle's title provides a hint of what links the nine unclued entries, as well as what results from following the instruction that you have to deduce from the corrections to the misprints.
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

xij

1st January 2017, 21:24
All done and dusted. A nice puzzle to end the year with. Just one query: I can't seem to get the wordplay for 37 even though I see the misprint. Anyone have any ideas?
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st January 2017, 22:03
Hi Xij, a person entering into marriage can be a 'party', so just take the head off that.
10 of 16  -   Report This Post